Thread: 2815 Recent purcahse of a mark ii have a few questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I've removed the hood on my car. IMO, you cannot align the hinges off the car.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Make sure to check the hood itself for stress cracking. If the hood hinges are too worn they will cause stresses at the attachment point - think of the moment arm of that hood back to the mounting point.

I had to have mine repaired and reinforced.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Joseph Stebbins

c56j3340

I see someone used the 1/8" drilled hole alignment trick.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Wolk View Post
    I see someone used the 1/8" drilled hole alignment trick.
    We stole it from your post! It will get us close but as the hinges had worn so much we are not sure how it will end up. Now given that the rest of the clip is sitting on horses being worked on there is going to be a bit of aligning to do anyway...
    Joseph Stebbins

c56j3340

Wouldn't you agree that it's impossible to actually do any alignment without putting the hinges on the car first?
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Wolk View Post
    Wouldn't you agree that it's impossible to actually do any alignment without putting the hinges on the car first?
    I don't see how you could do it any other way. I can't fathom holding the hood in the air while you try and bolt the hinges to the firewall. A couple of those bolts are a PIA with all the stuff in the way and just the dead weight of the hinges themselves.
    Joseph Stebbins

c56j3340

I agree, my hood has just also been repaired at the hinge attachment points, there is a huge bending moment applied by the hinge springs in order to keep tht hood up. In fact the hood inner panel was pulling the spot welds out from the hood top panel, I suggest using a hood prop (stick with cloth wrapped around each end) when working on the car so as to minimise/remove these the bending forces on the hood inner skin.
    Mark Norris
    C56G3186
    1963 Aston Martin DB4 Series V Vantage
    1951 C-type Jaguar (alloy replica)
    1934 Lagonda M45 Tourer

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Norris View Post
    I agree, my hood has just also been repaired at the hinge attachment points, there is a huge bending moment applied by the hinge springs in order to keep tht hood up. In fact the hood inner panel was pulling the spot welds out from the hood top panel, I suggest using a hood prop (stick with cloth wrapped around each end) when working on the car so as to minimise/remove these the bending forces on the hood inner skin.
    I put the prop stick right by the hood latch pin so you don't hit the back of your head on the pin.
    Joseph Stebbins

c56j3340

I ALSO put a moving quilt, {you know the kind we never put back in the U Haul truck after we rent the truck} across the panel between the hood and the windshield. This helps in case you or the other 4 people that are helping you hold the hood in place lets it slid backwards.
    Mark A Maromonte