Thread: washer bottle bracket color

Default washer bottle bracket color

anyone know the correct finish for a 1956 water bottle bracket? seems the choices are black or plated the color of the tin top. I've seen pics of both.
    Skip Duke
    C56B1911

Here is a blow up from one of Ford's in house period pictures, looks like its grey like the bottle lid;

Washer bottle in bracket - Mkii.jpg

That's how it is on my car and, by the look of the finish, it seems original.
    Last edited by Mark Norris; 11-23-2020 at 10:28 AM.
    Mark Norris
    C56G3186
    1963 Aston Martin DB4 Series V Vantage
    1951 C-type Jaguar (alloy replica)
    1934 Lagonda M45 Tourer

When I first looked at my bracket, I thought it was the same color as the top. However, after looking closer, it is not painted. It appears to be plated but not chrome plated. The bracket is strongly magnetic so I don't think it is stainless. It is a tinny color. I have no idea if it is original.

Larry
    Larry Durocher
    1956 Mark II C5601429
    1962 RR Silver Cloud II drophead
    2006 Ford F150
    2010 RR Phantom drophead
    2013 Bentley GTC
    2015 Lincoln MKT

I’m thinking it’s zinc plated but not polished. Zinc will also grey over time.
    David Mitchell
    C56_3200

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktophat View Post
    I’m thinking it’s zinc plated but not polished. Zinc will also grey over time.
    I believe the early cars had zinc-plated booster housings, also.. I used Eastwood’s plating kit with an extra jug of acid to do a bottle bracket.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Trico made the antenna, antenna vacuum switch, temperature control vacuum switch, wiper motor and coordinated spray washer bottle. They made them for just about everyone in the US while Bosch had the European market.

The OEM Chevrolet bracket I got recently was the same as the Mark II bottle bracket, except it had a different rear mounting tab, made of steel and lightly zinc plated. I have a few washer bottles and lids. The lids looks like they were formed of metal that already had a shiny silver metallic finish before it was formed.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126