Thread: Oil weight

Braveheart Guest

Default Oil weight

What does the factory recommend as far as weight of oil to use in the 368 CI engine, 10-30?
    Thanks
    Chris

Christopher:
    here's a link to the owner's manual page 35: https://www.dropbox.com/s/086oee37d8...Numerical.pdf?

"For winter driving in extremely cold temperatures (10 degrees F or lower) SAE 5W should be used. For milder winter driving, SAE 10W oil is recommended. During summer driving, with night temperatures above freezing, SAE 20 or SAE 20W oil should be used.
    In extremely, warm climates, with daily temperatures above 90 degrees F, SAE 30 is recommended."

So, the really short answer is: SAE 5W-30 oil should be correct in most driving conditions. Hope this helps.

P.S. Forum records indicate your car was built for export to Canada. Will you please post a pic of your speedometer? I have never seen one in KM. Additionally, we don't have any recent history on your car. The last posting was 2010. Please update us as time permits. Very best regards, John
    Last edited by jdsnoddy; 09-14-2019 at 11:57 AM.
    John Snoddy

Braveheart Guest

Thank you John
    Chris

I use Classic Car Oil in my classic cars. It is 15W40 and has the level of ZDDP and detergents recommended for classic car engines. It also has additives that are helpful for cars that are not driven daily. ZDDP levels are thought to be very important during breakin periods on a rebuilt classic car engine.

Most modern oils have their additives focused on not damaging the catalytic converter or getting better gas mileage.

Larry
    Larry Durocher
    1956 Mark II C5601429
    1962 RR Silver Cloud II drophead
    2006 Ford F150
    2010 RR Phantom drophead
    2013 Bentley GTC
    2015 Lincoln MKT

I have been using 5W30 in my 1950 Mercury and my Mark II for years. In many cases under average climate and driving heavy oils are not necessary. If you are mainly driving in city traffic or short trips heavy oil isn't a good idea I have seen over the years and often leads to sticking lifters or sludge as well. Lighter oils tend to flow better and keep the engine cleaner as well. GM Oldsmobile has had 5W30 recommended for years including the 70's and for those who think they need heavy oil (unless you are living in Nevada or Arizona?) look under the hood of Ford Pickups and get a load of the 5W20 on the filler cap.