Thread: Pulling the engine on a '57.

Default Pulling the engine on a '57.

This '57 sleeps with my cars. It's been stored with me over 10 years. This belongs to the retiring Ford attorney that I taught to do his own brake job.

It has an unusual problem. It pukes up trans fluid on a regular basis. It seems to be coming out the filler tube and splashing on the valve cover.

No one wants to work on these.

The owner had the car picked up yesterday to take it to a trans shop 30 miles away. The repair guy called me complaining about how long it was going to take and how long he's have two car spaces tied up. He said, "If I charged him $5,000 I'd still lose money!" He's probably right. He had no problem rebuilding the trans, just tying up his space. I've got the space and the time, since I'm actually retired.

When I got my car 20 years ago I was running my business so I hired a guy to pull my engine and trans and put it back together. I cringed when it cost me $2,800 plus $800 to rebuild a trans that didn't need rebuilding. It was actually a bad pressure regulator that was accessible through the pan.

It's really not difficult as the engine fits between the radiator supports. I've always taken the hood off, but I'm unclear if that's necessary. I think my cherry picker will hook directly to the intake manifold. plate I have with no chain. I wont be able to set the engine on the ground, but the plan is to take the trans off and leave the engine hanging while the trans is gone. It doesn't have air, so that's a plus.

IMG_2331.jpg

I'll see if I can find the photos of mine being done.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

If worse comes to worse, I have a spare 57 Premiere trans which I believe is either a 7000 or a 7003 G transmission. It’s used but still worked well when I pulled it. I believe you do have to remove the hood along with the oil pump pickup tube to remove the engine because the frame pedestals present a pretty imposing obstacle. If you can get the engine and trans out without removing the hood, that would be awesome. I’ve just never tried it.
    Morgan Milstead
    C5691157

Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126