Thread: Engine cutting out

Default Engine cutting out

I posted about my engine cutting out on my car a while ago.

It only did it once in a while so it was hard to diagnose.

Being a bit stubborn, I was sure it couldn't be the coil resistor so I never checked it.

Finally, it cut out about 10 times in one trip.

I also had put a pilot light where I could see it while driving that was on the +12 volt terminal of the coil.

Every time engine cut out, the pilot light went out so I then decided it had to be the ignition switch or that resistor.

Turns out the resistor got very hot at some point in its life and the ceramic piece the resistor wire is wound on broke in a couple of places.

This allowed the resistor to bend over and short out against the metal enclosure.

I guess the normal vibration of the engine made the short intermittent which is why the car always started again and always got me home.

I found an exact replacement resistor on eBay and have it installed.

next spring when I take the car out again I assume my issue will no longer happen.

I also bought a new ignition switch but it's in my parts box because I'm confident the resistor was my problem.

The metal enclosure the resistor lives in has a removable cover.

It might be a good idea to remove the cover of your resistor enclosure and inspect your resistor because I bet this problem isn't unique to my car.

I guess I'll be waiting for my car to cut out again for a while until many trouble-free miles are logged.

Here are pictures of the bad resistor and the new one.

IMG_1153.jpgfullsizeoutput_58e.jpg

Notice the new resistor is not on an insulator so it's a good idea to insulate the inside of the enclosure so the resistor can't warp and short to the enclosure.

Sorry about the High-pot picture. I can't figure out how to delete it.

Merry Christmas everyone!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jack Bowser; 12-08-2019 at 11:21 AM.
    Jack Bowser
    C56B2198
    Past Ownership 1991, 3206, and 1763
    2006 Ford GT
    2006 Cadillac XLR-V
    427 Cobra
    2012 Mercedes SLS AMG Roadster
    1924 Dodge Brothers Rat Rod
    Lots of Bowser gas Pumps