Thread: Seeking mk i expert for ppi

mikemak Guest

Default Seeking mk i expert for ppi

Greetings to all...does anybody know if there is somebody available in the San Francisco Bay area to do a pre-purchase inspection?...if there isn't anybody out that way, is there somebody on this forum available to advise me what and where to look for in a potential purchase candidate? I'm not looking for a freebie and expect to pay a reasonable fee. By the way, I'm not looking for a restoration project. I'm only considering very presentable, very driveable vehicles. I just joined the group yesterday and I'm looking forward to being an owner soon. Thanks in advance for all who respond....Michael (714) 812-3133

mikemak Guest

Sorry for the typo...MK II, not MK I...damn autocorrect!!!

Mike:
    Welcome.
    Here are previous comments on inspection checklists items for pre-purchase inspection:
    http://www.markiiforum.com/showthrea...ight=checklist

Reader's Digest condensed version: Examine the frame closely: if frame members are compromised by rust--(don't walk) run away fast!
    Frame rust commonly occurs behind the front wheels. Secondly, buy the best car you can afford. A solid project car needing full restoration starts around $12K.
    A complete running, driving, steering and braking car usually costs in the very low $20K. Good luck and let us know when you consider a specific car--we're here. John

OBTW, check these out: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-Lincoln...-/253129348007
    and http://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-Lincoln...-/222628170705
    Last edited by jdsnoddy; 09-02-2017 at 11:47 AM.
    John Snoddy

I would like to add that a "very presentable, very driveable vehicle" is a $50K car minimum.
    Shelly

C56C2292
    '56 Continental Mark II

On EBay there is a black with red for $33000, in Arizona. Seems like a honest car. The interior is done, but not with the correct leather, BUT, its is done very nicely! If I ever do another Mark that needs interior, that is what I am going to do. The leather with the suede inserts looks very nice. Also, a modern touch that is very comfortable.
    Mark A Maromonte

I had a friend who is knowledgeable on older cars go look at that car for me. His report was not glowing. Exact words were, you really should go look for yourself. It sold on eBay for 31,500, but buyer never payed. Seller posted it with $33K BIN. Told me he thought it was a $40K car. Missing too many things, plus the interior was far from correct, but was indeed new. Several things not working also. It may be a fine car, I just got scared of it as more things came to light.
    Paul E Davis
    C56H3229

Agreed, Shelly.
    Andrew Aloisi

1956 Mark ll D2815
    2003 Chrysler Sebring Ltd. convertible
    2014 Mercedes E350 station wagon
    2015 BMW 750I

The black car with the incorrect interior is a $33,000 car, if it runs well, even if some things do not work and small trim is missing.. Shelly is correct, to get a car that stands tall you will have to write a $50,000 check.
    Mark A Maromonte

Black Arizona car sold for $30K. I think I made the right choice buying the one I did.
    Paul E Davis
    C56H3229