Thread: Keeping hubcaps from falling off

oklah Guest

Default Keeping hubcaps from falling off

Hub caps won't stay on after installation - Any ideas/solutions

If you do a search on the forum, you will find a number of suggestions. I had the same issue with one of my hubcaps this summer even with new rims and new tires. When I looked at the marks made by the hubcap on the wheel, it was clear that all the hubcap "teeth" were not biting in and therefore some needed to be bent to get a more uniform "bite".

However, even with those adjustments, I wanted a more positive way to "lock" on the hubcaps. If you look through the posts that I made in this thread

https://www.markiiforum.com/showthre...ghlight=hubcap

you will see two ways to secure the hubcap. One involves just securing it using the valve stem. The other uses two wire lanyards attached(by fin studs) to each hubcap and threaded through the wheel (via two small drilled holes) and secured with wire locks. The second approach guarantees you will never lose a hubcap and still avoids modifying the hubcap itself.

Larry
    Larry Durocher
    1956 Mark II C5601429
    1962 RR Silver Cloud II drophead
    2006 Ford F150
    2010 RR Phantom drophead
    2013 Bentley GTC
    2015 Lincoln MKT

This has been a controversial subject on the forum and you can read many posts with possible fixes. I couldn't find my last post on the subject so I'll repeat.

I had several incidents of the covers flying off. I tried new wheels as per Barry's posts and bending the teeth that grip the wheel. None of that worked. Bear in mind that a nice original wheel cover is now worth $500 so to make sure they don't fly off and get damaged there is no remedy too extreme if it works. From my experience the absolute 100% guaranteed fix is to secure the wheel cover to the wheel with two sheet metal screws opposed 180 degrees from each other which you screw into holes that you drill in the black area between the fins and into the wheel. Finish off with a touch of black paint on their heads. Works like a charm. Can't be seen unless you look hard, A bit of inconvenience when removing a tire....but two small holes and screws in the wheel cover are the only certain way to make sure they don't fly off. This remedy was originally authored over 60 years ago.
    Shelly

C56C2292
    '56 Continental Mark II