Thread: 368 VS Mark II 368...? Questions

Default 368 VS Mark II 368...? Questions

So I bought 2119 and all is well but I believe I may have a replacement 368. I have a paper air filter, a spin on oil filter, and the engine color is incorrect, nice but wrong. I looked for the stamped serial number and don't see one. So now I have questions: If it is a 368 used by Ford but NOT Mark II what does that mean for value, parts, work, and the shop manual etc?

In other words I know the Mark II engine was hand built and blue printed etc, but are the 368 engines the same internally as the Mercury Turnpike Cruiser and the Mark II?

If I do have replacement engine does this mean I have a pig in a poke???

Thanks. Jim
    Jim Glass

Ford had 368 re-manufacture engine available. My 56 has one not sure when fitted or why but on side of my block under the paint was old transfer, Re-manufacture by Ford there is info on here about them. my engine goes fine very happy with it, but not a numbers matching engine for the car, they run this engine in the large trucks F5oo up to 1962.
    Graham Rollo,
    C56D2663 1956 Continental Mark II
    1957 Imperial Southhampton coupe
    1956 Buick Riveria special coupe
    1939 Chev tudor
    1931 Ford Model A coupe
    1987 Harley Davidson
    . 1940 Ford deluxe coupe

Quote Originally Posted by jimgnj View Post
    So I bought 2119 and all is well but I believe I may have a replacement 368. I have a paper air filter, a spin on oil filter, and the engine color is incorrect, nice but wrong. I looked for the stamped serial number and don't see one.

Thanks. Jim
    Jim:
    Most likely your serial number has been painted over. Up under the distributor, in the casting is ECU 3015A Dot perpendicular to the raised Dot, or bump, underneath the paint, is your stamped engine number. Just scrape off the paint.

As to value, you bought a nice driver. This is not a competitive concours car. Don't worry about it .
    Enjoy your car. Drive your car. It's not an investment, it is to enjoy.

The Continental 368 are the same engine as the Turnpike.
    The real issue is: Do you have a 368 Y block? And my best guess is that you do. All is well. Enjoy.

Except for maybe the color and the serial number, no one would know that your 368 Y-block is a replacement. The good news is that your engine most probably doesn't need an overhaul or be rebuilt.
    Last edited by jdsnoddy; 01-29-2020 at 07:42 AM.
    John Snoddy

John, true words, thanks. It's a Y block no doubt. Runs good too. Took it down the Garden State Parkway yesterday and ran well. Thanks for the support.
    Jim Glass