Thread: Number of '57s

John Herrell Guest

Default Number of '57s

I know it's said there were 444 '57s made. But if the first was 3418 and the last was 3989, that's 572 s/ns. (Did they misstrike that many faceplates? <g>)

Default Your math is correct

You are correct that 572 units of the model year 1957 Mark IIs were made. Some folks count the beginning of the calendar year instead of the model year. If you count the calendar year, it eliminates some units which makes the model seem more rare and then maybe more valuable. Bottom line: It's all about perspective and how you frame it; your math is correct.
    John Snoddy

Well, for a car made 3005 times over 2 production years I tend to look at the total rather then break it out. After all, there was no visual differences between all of the Mark II's.

What would appeal to me if I ever own one, is whether it is an early car, a very late car, the color combinations and ownership provenance.

Other than that, I don't care much if it is a black 1956 in the middle of that production year or a black 1957 in the middle of that production year. All the same.