Thread: Kia ora Folks

Question Kia ora Folks

Hi
    New to the Lincoln Continental world. I am a Ford man, all my life! then just two weeks ago while in Florida looking for a classic Ford as my gift to me after a hard few years (found a 55 T-Bird), I spotted a 1956-57 Lincoln Continental in a car sales and now after years of dreaming about a T-Bird, I am smitten on the Lincoln Continental, with preference to the 57. The unfortunate problem is, finding a good one (to pass onto my son, when I go to visit the 'big fella'). The 3 salesmen I came across in different yards should not be allowed to sell Mc Donalds fries, let alone cars! Are car salesmen; ex-con men just out of jail or guys who cannot get a regular job? Arrogance taken to a new level!!!!
    So can anyone help me purchase a 57 Lincoln Continental, car will stay in Florida for a few years, before I ship it to either NZ or UK, so needs air con.
    How much should I be looking at and what particular issues does the 57 have (I know my areas of concern for the Thunderbird). Hoping someone can help and I become part of this community. Missed my years in the classic car world, UK not the greatest place for Classic American cars!
    Wayne

Well if you are not into restoring cars it really comes down to buy the best car you can and let the previous owners work keep you sane at night. Basically aside from rust in the frame or really bad rot in the body look to see if the interior needs a lot of work. Redoing the interior on these cars is a serious job. There is an acre of top quality leather and high end carpet - I mean the dash is leather not vacuum formed vinyl! But that's why we like them!

Mechanicals are a little easier to sort on a 57 as the distributor is a more modern vacuum-mechanical advance type not the Load-O-Matic on the 56's and the Transmission has a standard oil cooler not an air-cooled finned aluminum converter.

Good luck and welcome aboard!
    Joseph Stebbins

c56j3340

Default thanks a million

Thanks for info. Interior not major issue for me as my childhood friend is a top upholsterer for super yachts, he will have no choice :-) Body has such large flat panels, wow!
    Still really excited about the new found love!
    Big question is what does one pay for a good straight bodied 57? Any of the running gear/suspension a major problem to repair/ replace?
    Back in the Florida before end of month. There are a couple for sale in dealers, would anyone in the club know what these are like?
    Thanks again for the help

Default What does one pay?

Suggested sources are Haggerty's Insurance and the Old Cars Value Guide.
    If you give us specifics, such as pics, and VIN number, we will give you our honest opinions (for what they're worth.)
    Last edited by jdsnoddy; 07-30-2014 at 09:37 AM. Reason: change word choice
    John Snoddy

Lightbulb

A review of our mark ii cars for sale forum will give you a wealth of informafion