Thread: 2287 Hillsborough Concours d' Elegance & Tour 2014

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 2287 Hillsborough Concours d' Elegance & Tour 2014

An interesting week for sure..
    Back in May when it became pretty clear 2287 would be completed soon, I did a fairly ambitious thing and entered my Mark II in the Concours. I have attended it for several years but never entered a car. I was feeling good about the level of detail and authenticity we had achieved in the car but the last minute things piled up one after another in the last week to the point I honestly didn't think we would make in time. From the generator on the fritz (regulator issue) to resonators and exhaust to final detailing, to wheel alignments, the last week was a zoo.
    We literally completed everything at 10pm last Friday night a mere 12 hours before the tour was scheduled to leave Saturday morning. Oh, yes, I signed up for the 70 mile tour too. Down the coast and up the coastal range mountains and back through the skyline road a Hillsborough Peninsula Estate for lunch. I was more than a bit apprehensive that my only "shake-out run" would be that type but WTH everything seemed to working well. It went marvelously. No overheat, no steering problems and it turned out to be a lovely drive. At the Estate luncheon yesterday the director asked if I would take one of the few parking spaces in front of the Mansion to exhibit the car during the time there. Oh, have I missed that car.
    Today was the Concours. As I said, having never done a Concours I didn't know what to expect but assumed that would change quickly. The car was well received by both the other owners and exhibitors as well as the public. Many questions and lots of fans of the Mark II. The Mark II gleemed in the sunlight and showed quite well, I thought. In the end none of the three awards were meant for my Mark II today. Oddly in the A3 Class (SCCA Rules) 1955 -1989 Post War {My history books could have that "post 3 1/2" wars} 1st went to 57 T BIRD Very nice car that could be on a 1957 Showroom Floor, 2nd was a 60 Impala Conv. Also nice. And 3rd ....wait for it..... 1957 T BIRD. Nice car.. blah blah LOL..
    I spoke to my judges after and pleasantly asked how my car could show better. I was told about this and that about electrical connector and hose clamps. Hmmm, then he told me that was important to him. "I'm an electrical engineer".
    All and all, a great weekend with great folks, beautiful scenery and MY CAR BACK!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pat Marshall; 07-21-2014 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Added VIN to thread title
    Chuck Lutz :cool:
    San Mateo, CA
    2022 BMW X7
    2022 CADILLAC XT6
    1956 MKII C56C2287 15-1A1A-106-1
    1969 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible
    1957 Skyliner Retractable
    2014 Bentley Continental GTC
    2010 Dodge Challenger 5.7 HEMI R/T
    1970 Ranchero Squire 351C/4spd
    1947 CHEVORLET PICK UP
    1970 VW BUG