Thread: 2287 Hillsborough Concours d' Elegance & Tour 2014

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Marshall View Post
    What a great car! The history has been updated - a really colorful history (in more ways than one!)
    As I mentioned in an earlier post, last weekend we took the Mark II to Sonoma for a Western Region wine tasting and picnic.

Yes, LAST weekend with the QUAKE but it's California and I'll get to that later. We're talking cars here. (With all due respect to those in Napa cleaning up)

I may have closed an important loop in the history of 2287 while there. The event had a terrific turnout of attendees of Lincoln Continental owners and one other Mark II besides ours. A beautiful green car owned by an older gentleman by the name of Bill Edwards. I don't know Bill's age but he was in good shape, not too tall, a bit on the thin side and I'm guessing mid to late 70's. Now, I have heard his name in passing as he has been involved in LCOC in various capacities but had never met him previously. Very nice man with a very nice Mark II.
    As the function was drawing to a close in the parking lot, several of us drifted around the cars. When the group came to 2287 I gladly showed them. Bill looked over the car with the common interests we share of Mark IIs. We chatted and I mentioned a bit about the car being delivered to the Jacuzzi Bros. in Feb '56. The man's eyes lit up and he became very animated. He pointed to the car and started saying "Baby Blue!!.. Baby Blue!! I wasn't exactly sure how he knew but I said "Yes, but originally, it was medium blue but somewhere along the way... ". He stopped me short in mid sentence. "I know, I painted it."
    Turns out. Bill held a manager's position at Uptown Motors in Oakland at the time. The car was ordered and sold to the Jacuzzi Bros with the idea that it was Light blue. When the car arrived it was medium blue. When the salesman saw it he went nuts. Bill said they had to get approval from "District sales office at 14th and Broadway" (I believe) in Oakland to approve the re-paint by Ford, which they did.
    As Bill told the story, the car was taken into they're shop and completely torn down, stripped inside and out, engine out, painted light blue and re-assembled in a matter of days before <name> Jacuzzi showed up to see and receive the car. <He recalled Mr. Jacuzzi's name>
    All the time I've owned the car I could not figure out who would have done such a complete color change from medium to light on the car based on the history that I had on the car.
    I've asked Bill if he would please write this in a letter so I may have it for the records and he agreed. I will stay in touch with him but not only for the letter but he's a great car guy.
    Last edited by Chuck Lutz; 08-27-2014 at 12:51 AM.
    Chuck Lutz :cool:
    San Mateo, CA
    2022 BMW X7
    2022 CADILLAC XT6
    1956 MKII C56C2287 15-1A1A-106-1
    1969 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible
    1957 Skyliner Retractable
    2014 Bentley Continental GTC
    2010 Dodge Challenger 5.7 HEMI R/T
    1970 Ranchero Squire 351C/4spd
    1947 CHEVORLET PICK UP
    1970 VW BUG
    Galvanized Mop Bucket on Wheels

Chuck, I don't know whether or not you got the VIN of Bill Edwards' car, but it's 3953.

Did he mention if it is for sale? The reason I ask is that's it's the same specifications of the car currently for sale by a Los Angeles dealer - D20-1C2D - (doesn't mean the car is actually in LA!).

I've been suspecting that the car that for sale might be either 3953 or 3981.

Did you take any pictures of 3953?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pat Marshall
    Lancaster, OH

What a cool story! I'd be interested in seeing your slide show, if you care to share.
    Russell Chilton

I didn't get any photos and Bill didn't mention anything about the car being for sale. It was a very nice car. I didn't get the VIN but it does look like the listing photos. I will be calling him shortly and will ask.
    Last edited by Chuck Lutz; 08-28-2014 at 09:19 PM. Reason: smelling correction
    San Mateo, CA
    2022 BMW X7
    2022 CADILLAC XT6
    1947 CHEVORLET PICK UP
    1970 VW BUG
    Galvanized Mop Bucket on Wheels

I guess we know now that it wasn't Bill's car for sale in LA. I haven't yet spoken to Bill but I did stumble across this online the other day about 3953.

http://photos.mercurynews.com/2014/0...tal-mark-ii/#1
    San Mateo, CA
    2022 BMW X7
    2022 CADILLAC XT6
    1947 CHEVORLET PICK UP