Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying advice

Default Buying advice

Hi everybody,
    My name is Adam and I am new to this forum.

The Continental Mark II is my favourite car and I am trying to find out a bit more about them.

Completely out of the blue, my dream config is running in an auction here in the UK:
    https://themarket.bonhams.com/en/lis...ac?status=live

It is the year and colour that I want, it even has air conditioning!

Unfortunately the timing could not be worse. I really cannot afford it, have no storage left and am just about to start a massive expensive home extension. I may however put in a cheeky bid and cross my fingers.

I would really appreciate your advice on purchasing one of these beauties as I will be going to view it tomorrow. Anything in particular to look out for? I have a couple of American classics already, so not totally new to the arena.

You will see from the listing that the car is not perfect but the issues they have listed do not put me off.

Adam,

As with any classic, buy the best example you can afford. Repairs and parts add up pretty quickly.

As to the Mark II's, check for frame rust, especially towards the front of the vehicle. This was a weak point in these cars.

Best of luck.

Lee
    Lee Craner
    Las Vegas, NV

56 Mark II C56C2363
    65 Thunderbird convertible
    73 Intermeccanica Squire (1938 Jaguar SS-100 replica)

Thanks for the advice Lee, that's useful to know about the weak point.

Not that it's super-important, but the Mark IIs came with engines that were numbered, where Lincoln-destined engines weren't I don't think it would be asking too much to have a seller exposed the serial number staled into the engine at the base of the distributor. I believe they were painted at the Lincoln factory, so some paint often needs to be removed to expose the number. I also don't think it's asking too much to have a seller take a photo of the serial number stamped into the frame ahead of the PS pump, to see of the curtains match the drapes, so to speak.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

The ad mentioned a few areas of body rust. My experience is that if there is visible body rust there is a good possibility that there is a lot of rust that is yet to be discovered. There are a lot of areas, in addition to the frame, on a Mark II where bumpers, chrome, trim, etc can hide rust.

I had no visible rust of the body or frame on my Mark II when I bought it. When I removed the rear bumpers, I found a lot of rust. Repairing rust and the associated painting can be very expensive if you don't have that expertise.

The ad also mentions that no one has started the car, driven the car or checked any of the functionality of the various switches. Not sure if they will let you do that when you visit but I would certainly want to start and drive the car and see what actually works.

The other considerations are what are your expectations and long term intentions. If you want the car to be a concours type of car, usually you are better off buying a car that someone else has already put a lot of money into the restoration.

I have a checklist that I prepared when inspecting Mark IIs. My e-mail is lldurocherhome@gmail.com. Send me an e-mail if you would like a copy.

Larry
    Last edited by lld; 08-30-2022 at 04:25 PM.
    Larry Durocher
    1956 Mark II C5601429
    1962 RR Silver Cloud II drophead
    2006 Ford F150
    2010 RR Phantom drophead
    2013 Bentley GTC
    2015 Lincoln MKT

Welcome to the forum. I'd suggest waiting until the time is right. You have listed the classic concerns: beer money, no storage and no time. And now you want to buy a 65 year old car which may not run, drive or brake. This car needs lots of love, money and time. I suggest you wait.
    Last edited by jdsnoddy; 08-31-2022 at 06:49 AM.
    John Snoddy

Welcome to the Forum Adam. I also live in the UK and imported my MkII 5 years ago. I see the Bonhams car went for ?51k which is quite strong money but it was a nice a car that would have cleaned up very well. My car cost half that but is still a very nice example so you just need to shop around. Firstly I'd say go for a car that has spent most/all its life in one of the dry or dryer states as other members have mentioned if there is any extensive rust its a non-starter. Walk away from anything that has rust above a small amount around the front fender below the head light(s). This is a very common area. You don't need to look at cars worse than that because there are always a fair number available for purchase. Take your time ..I looked for over a year before I found mine. Choose a car that someone else has already poured a lot of love and money into. These cars can be money pits so don't fall into that trap. Lastly take your time to look through the Forum ..its a massive database of advice and information from owners who've been there. There is nothing particularly complicated about a Continental MkII but it pays to have a little inside knowledge. Happy to talk on the phone so just private message me.
    Last edited by Mark Norris; 08-31-2022 at 03:38 PM.
    Mark Norris
    C56G3186
    1963 Aston Martin DB4 Series V Vantage
    1951 C-type Jaguar (alloy replica)
    1934 Lagonda M45 Tourer

Hi everybody,
    Thank you all so much for you advice. Yes, ?51K is very strong for that example I thought. I didn?t go to see it in the end as I?ve got too much work on.

You?re all right of course and I will indeed wait and gather knowledge as you suggest.

Mark, thank you for your offer, I will indeed DM you.

Would any of you advise any particular books or resources that are useful to get some technical knowledge about these cars? It?s a shame nobody has done an in depth YouTube video review. Unless I?ve missed it?

Buy the Authenticity Manual created by the Lincoln and Continental Owners Club. If you're going to restore, or buy a Mark II done, it's helpful to know it's done right.

The Mark II-specific parts manual is great to have, too.

Everything else you need to know it's posted on the Forums.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Download the Buddy Holiday "book", its here in the Forum. Good general background and repair/maintenance advice.

https://www.markiiforum.com/showthre...ighlight=buddy
    Last edited by Mark Norris; 08-31-2022 at 05:21 PM.
    Mark Norris
    C56G3186
    1963 Aston Martin DB4 Series V Vantage
    1951 C-type Jaguar (alloy replica)
    1934 Lagonda M45 Tourer