Thread: HELP! I Need Therapy!

Default HELP! I Need Therapy!

(Forgive the punctuation. It wouldn?t come out right from my iPhone)

So I?m the inherited owner of C5601503. my father kept it beautiful. I saw Elvis?s car a couple months back, and ?in some ways?mine looks nicer AND IS STILL RUNNING with original parts (unlike that one).

HOWEVER, I can?t get to MA to drive it enough. I love every time I drive it, but then after that beautiful 30 min drive, I get stalled on the side of the road and either have to leave it until morning or get a flatbed.

I need therapy because this car is driving me crazy . I love it, but I just can?t give it the time it needs. I don?t want to sell it. Is there a reasonable sum I can pay someone to keep it in good working order -like a svc fee-so it?s well maintained and working as well as it can when I go drive it?

Please
    Help THX!!
    Last edited by Amcontinental; 05-31-2022 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Punctuation

The only way to insure any level of reliability on a car this age is to rebuild all mechanical systems, and that can be expensive. Age is something very tough to overcome. If you want to increase your odds of enjoying your car start by replacing everything made of rubber. Hoses, belts and vacuum lines are the biggest reasons for the need for a tow truck, in my experience. However, if someone asks me where to start I always tell them to do the brakes first. I have great reasons for that.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

It?s not your phone, it?s the weird software the Administrator uses.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Default Your approach

Adam:
    I feel as if your approach needs work; not therapy.. To enjoy your car, I would locate it close to you and your home --don't keep it in another state. These cars require attention: they are over 60 years old as are most of us. So, instead of hiring someone else to maintain your car, I would suggest you do it. You'll appreciate your drives much more if you put in the sweat equity. And this approach is the most cost effective.
    Owning a Continental is not for the faint of heart; It is not a casual one night stand. You need to either marry your car or break up. My suggestion is go all in.

These cars require time and money. otherwise, you'll be left frustrated and unfulfilled.

In previous posts, we have recommended repairs, can you please tell us what action, if any, you have taken and what remains undone? Please advise.
    Good luck,
    John
    Last edited by jdsnoddy; 05-31-2022 at 11:17 AM.
    John Snoddy

John's correct. Working on these cars is most satisfying. There are some people that seem to want people to think these cars are difficult to work on, but that couldn't be further than the truth. It's that myth that hurts the value of these cars when, in fact, all basic maintenance can be handled with a few hand tools and a 100 piece socket and wrench set. Some would have you believe that the tech is somehow special when, another fact is that they were designed by Ford designers and engineered by Ford engineers and put together by Ford's lowest common denominator, the union assemblers putting together parts from mostly outside suppliers as Continental actually manufactured no parts in-house.

Start off simple. An oil and filter change will do. Flushing the cooling system is another easy thing to do. Most mechanical parts were used on other Ford cars and today's parts suppliers have just about every mechanical bit. Understanding the electrical system is only somewhat difficult as there are so many options, but one thing holds true, they are no more difficult than a Caddy or Chrysler product of the period.

Another thing that hold true is that the more you use them the better they serve you.

I come here to help, as do many others.
    Barry Wolk
    Farmington Hills, MI

C5681126

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Wolk View Post
    Another thing that hold true is that the more you use them the better they serve you.

I come here to help, as do many others.
    Truer words were never spoken:. The more you drive your car, the better it becomes.

Please let us know how we can help
    Best regards,
    John
    John Snoddy