PDA

View Full Version : Using wax to extract rusty bolt.

Barry Wolk
10-14-2021, 12:44 PM
I've watched a lot of videos during the Pandemic. I've been waiting for an opportunity to try this.

The 409 engine in the Bel-Air I'm working on had some very stuck exhaust flange bolts. I tried a to loosen them with just Liquid Wrench. I tried heating the surrounding cast iron to cherry-red. Nothing. I waited until the wax didn't evaporate on contact. I could watch it pool at the base of the bolt and then disappear. Using a cam-operated stud extractor they came out with far less effort than I imagined.

Officially astounded.

Mark Norris
10-14-2021, 12:56 PM
I'll have to look this up on Youtube. Another tool in the box. Of course whenever I have to undo the lid off a jar Mrs Norris says she must have already loosened it.

Barry Wolk
10-14-2021, 01:59 PM
I'll have to look this up on Youtube. Another tool in the box. Of course whenever I have to undo the lid off a jar Mrs Norris says she must have already loosened it.

I think it may have been a Hagerty video. They were pretty impressed, too.

lld
10-16-2021, 05:19 PM
Interesting approach. When I looked at several different videos there were mixed results and mixed evidence as to whether the wax even got to the threads. Here's one where they looked for wax on the threads after unscrewing and even cutting the nuts off to make sure the unthreading was not removing the wax.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=using+wax+to+remove+rusted+bolts#kpvalbx=_f0drYf j9O46ztQbAlqKoBw32

On the Bernzomatic website, they recommend

Use a Bernzomatic torch and a little elbow grease to loosen frozen, rusted or stubborn nuts and bolts.

For stubborn bolts, heat the bolt, then move the flame away and apply WD-40 against the heated bolt threads. The melting wax pulls itself into the threads to create a slippery surface.
Keep open flames away from fuel and brake lines, rubber fittings and other flammable parts and materials.

Of course, some websites say that WD-40 does not contain any wax and some say that WD-40 has parrafin in suspension.

Of course, when I get a really stubborn fastener, I am willing to try anything to avoid stripping the threads or breaking a bolt/stud.

Larry