PDA

View Full Version : What is the secret to window transmission repair?

Barry Wolk
09-04-2021, 08:49 PM
It's like bowling, I never get any better at it. I especially dislike the motors that have the spiral gear ground into the shaft. I ruined 3 motors by trying to pull the gear-cut shaft out of the housing, after removing the mating gear. I tried deburring, but I just must have missed something.

Also, I've wrecked two motors while installing new brushes from solder making the brush wire rigid. How do you control how far molten solder travels on a fluxed wire?

What is the correct lube to use in these gear sets? I hope to never have to open another Mark II door apart, but you never know.

Here's a bit of engineering I do not understand. This is the bottom window stop. It's attached to the motor access cover. The movable part lines up perfectly with the factory notch, but it barely catches the bottom guide rail. What does an original stop look like? Mines just a block of mud flap held in place by heat shrink tubing. It's probably a cylinder meant to miss the guide rail and stop on the window rail.

Barry Wolk
09-06-2021, 10:28 AM
The parts manual is fighting me. The parts list shows Continental part number 4047795 as the correct replacement lower stop. Continental part numbers were different than other Ford numbers as it lacks a suffex to tell you what car it's for. However, the parts box has a decoder showing that it's a Ford part number 21768, but I can't find a picture of what it looks like.

Barry Wolk
09-06-2021, 12:16 PM
This is a Thunderbird part number 21762, instead of 21768. It looks like it will fit the application if the height is within the adjustment range.

Damn, just three screws left to install and now the lower section will have to come apart again.

I ordered a handful from NPD.