PDA

View Full Version : Ignition help

JohnC
08-13-2021, 01:10 PM
HI,

Does the cylinder inside the ignition come out? It must. How? I have the ignition down behind the dash,,,I have a new cylinder to put in but I can't seem to find what holds the old cylinder in place. I can't even get the key in the cylinder that's on the car now and if I have to turn the key to find some release this may be an issue. Do I drill it out? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

jdsnoddy
08-13-2021, 01:46 PM
John:
Please read:
https://www.markiiforum.com/showthread.php?1718-Ignition-Switch-Removal&highlight=Remove+ignition
Bob Barker wrote:
Actually the front bezel only requires a quarter turn to remove. You have to push forward on the back of the switch to compress the spring and then turn the bezel with your fingers. Bob

And Barry Wolk wrote:
It will only come out once the bezel is off. The two recesses on either side of the key opening are designed for a wide screwdriver blade. Once the switch is out the lock will need to be picked so that it can be turned to expose the release pin to remove the tumblers from the ignition switch. Then the tumblers can be changed to match your door keys.

Good luck,
John

Milsteads Garage
08-13-2021, 01:47 PM
Somewhere on the ignition switch there should be a small hole. What you do is put a pick in the hole and in the hole is a spring loaded retainer. Make sure your battery is disconnected. Then by turning the key(I forget which way) and pushing down on the retainer, the cylinder will come loose and slide out forward. In the event it doesn’t work, a pre 1959 Ford ignition switch assembly will work as long as you transfer all your mark II related dash parts over to it.

JohnC
08-13-2021, 02:35 PM
thanks everyone

Barry Wolk
08-13-2021, 02:52 PM
Somewhere on the ignition switch there should be a small hole. What you do is put a pick in the hole and in the hole is a spring loaded retainer. Make sure your battery is disconnected. Then by turning the key(I forget which way) and pushing down on the retainer, the cylinder will come loose and slide out forward. In the event it doesn’t work, a pre 1959 Ford ignition switch assembly will work as long as you transfer all your mark II related dash parts over to it.

I believe that only work once the switch is out, but I could be incorrect.

Milsteads Garage
08-13-2021, 03:17 PM
Yes, once the switch is removed from the dash. Correct.