PDA

View Full Version : Key won't turn

JohnC
07-27-2021, 07:41 PM
Anyone have any ideas on why I cant get the key to turn? Is the switch bad? Key bad?

jimgnj
07-28-2021, 12:36 AM
I see you are new...You probably know this but the car MUST be in neutral to start.

Mark Norris
07-28-2021, 01:37 AM
Welcome John, just to clarify - in the as-built setup the key will actually turn to the starter position but the starter won't turn unless you are in neutral. However if the key itself won't turn then yes it either the key or the switch. Difficult to know which unless one also has a spare key and that doesn't work either in which case its likely to the switch. New ignition switches are a common and easily sourced item.

jdsnoddy
07-28-2021, 05:02 AM
Please make sure you're using the correct ignition key and not the trunk key.
My name is Captain Obvious... Jds

I only had the nerve to write this because I sometimes use the wrong key myself...

Mark Norris
07-28-2021, 07:07 AM
..Oh I didn't dare suggest that. Anyway on my car the ignition key has a square head and the trunk key has a round head (just like the circular chrome trim on the trunk which how I remember which is which).

cparkerk
07-28-2021, 07:34 AM
..Oh I didn't dare suggest that. Anyway on my car the ignition key has a square head and the trunk key has a round head (just like the circular chrome trim on the trunk which how I remember which is which).

Nice mnemonic! I have a similar one: the ignition key is the one with the edges that shall remind me of sparks.

Barry Wolk
07-28-2021, 09:31 AM
The trunk and door keys are identical, save for the head shape. I've worked on several cars that had round ignition keys.

JohnC
07-29-2021, 04:10 AM
Hey Jim,

Yes I'm very new and my first mark ii. I did not know about the neutral to start...Thanks....but yesterday, I couldn't even get the key in the ignition...I have a locksmith going over today.