PDA

View Full Version : Dual master cylinder conversion

JohnC
07-21-2021, 06:28 PM
I want to install the BRAKE BOOSTER WITH DUAL MASTER CYLINDER CONVERSION which Includes the Proportional Valve. Is it necessary to switch to disc brakes for safety issues or can I stay with drums all around? I'd like to keep everything as original as possible. Thanks

John Mush
C56A1836

jdsnoddy
07-21-2021, 07:12 PM
You can stick with the drums. Additionally, a change to dual reservoir is unnecessary. The original brake master cylinder can be rebuilt to work as new. It'll give you plenty of advance notice before any failure.

Barry Wolk
07-21-2021, 08:11 PM
Replace your rubber hoses and reduce the risk by 99%.

Mark Norris
07-22-2021, 01:38 AM
As Barry advised - replace the brake hoses, Its the first thing I did on all my cars, followed by a thorough run through the system. Indeed although my car was very presentable I ended up renewing the entire brake pipe system, hoses, wheel cylinders (looked new on the outside - all pitted on the inside), brake springs etc. I've never been a driver reduced to a passenger on a car with failed brakes but the prospect of it is scary enough.

3186 was already converted to dual circuit brakes, but still on drums, when I bought it. Actually it has no proportioning valve but brakes very nicely. Part of the function of the proportioning valve is about mixed drums and discs re how much they each back-off when the brake pedal is lifted.

Personally I like the "safety through redundancy" aspect and won't change it but their are two camps about this. I'm sure there will be more comments from other Forum members.