PDA

View Full Version : Headliner Cleaning & Restoration

Dan
10-13-2012, 04:02 PM
I have had severe staining from an old roof leak near the rear windshield.
Using a Leather Magic product, "Ink and Stain" remover; Ready Orange cleaner; and bleach; I applied and removed each product several times: I was able to diminish the tough stains. Be wary of soaking the headliner too much, as the stain can "travel" I found that cleaning the entire headliner stopped the stain from traveling. You must also be wary of the condition of the stitching: rotting thread can decompose and loosen with too much scrubbing and liquid. Mine is still intact, and someday I will use some upholstry dye to cover the stain. I'm just not ready to replace the original headliner.

Sean Rollins
10-13-2012, 04:29 PM
My headliner is in great shape, so I don't want to change it out, but a couple years back some G. D. Mice decided to move in and left urine stains in three spots... :puke

Dan
10-13-2012, 06:07 PM
I bet those stains will come out without too much effort
I would try spot treating them first, with not much liquid, and blotting them completely dry.
Good Luck!

Pat Marshall
07-18-2021, 01:28 AM
I am re-installing the broadcloth headliner of my #3610. Years ago an alleged restorer removed the headliner, rolled it up in plastic, before rending my car asunder. As I have said in other posts, I am reassembling (not restoring) the car so I can sell it.

We have started the re-installation of the headliner and it's going very nicely. The headliner has no damage and no spots or stains. However it has some discoloration from atmospheric soiling (dust, cigarette smoke, filtration lines, etc.).

Has anyone had any success cleaning headliners with atmospheric soiling?