PDA

View Full Version : Tail Light Hinge - Seized Up

Pat Marshall
07-17-2021, 06:39 AM
My Tail Light Hinge Assembly on #3610 is seized and won't budge.

I've searched the Forum and haven't found where that has been addressed (maybe I didn't search enough).

Has anyone had any success in unlocking the assembly? I've sprayed the pivot points with PB blaster, removed the little pin retainers, to no avail. Since, it's such a fragile assembly, I haven't been aggressive.

Barry Wolk
07-17-2021, 07:08 AM
I've had good luck with Kroil. You might also consider baking it at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes. I've used that method many times repairing clock mechanisms. It softens hard lubricants and the heat cycle helps break the pivot points free.

Pat Marshall
07-17-2021, 07:40 AM
I had not heard of Kroil UNTIL JUST YESTERDAY. I went to an industrial supply place and the clerk told me about it. I bought some and put it on to soak last night. If that doesn't work - into the oven, (when my wife isn't around).

Thanks

jdsnoddy
07-17-2021, 11:04 AM
Barry is the luckiest man on Earth: his wife allows him to use her oven and her dishwasher...

Nccco
07-17-2021, 12:05 PM
Good information, mine has a broken piece I'm going to weld but I still need to get pin free. Thanks

Barry Wolk
07-17-2021, 12:12 PM
Good information, mine has a broken piece I'm going to weld but I still need to get pin free. Thanks

One of the cars I fixed recently had a broken mechanism. Had it bronze welded. I pinned the joint with a roll pin.