PDA

View Full Version : Hood Springs

GAT
06-08-2021, 08:12 PM
Looking for a pair of new hood springs for a 1957 Lincoln Mark II .

Egenolf
06-09-2021, 01:25 AM
Gary,

it will probably be difficult to buy new springs in the right size. As far as I know, you can only buy completely overhauled hinges, which can be very expensive depending on the condition of your old hinges.

Probably more promising is to have the springs remanufactured if you can find a company that can do it.

I had new springs built here in Germany, there will also be companies in the US, that can built the springs.

Completely overhauled hinges can be bought from Rosen.

Attached a picture of the remanufactured springs.

https://up.picr.de/41388304rr.jpeg

GAT
06-11-2021, 04:37 PM
So I heard from one of the Continental suppliers that its not the springs and is how the hinges were built . They said between $400 and $1000 to have mine fixed . They ae 1957 Hinges. Anyone had theres fixed .

Pat Marshall
06-11-2021, 10:24 PM
Yes, two sets and it wasn't the springs. It was where the springs hooked into the sheet metal of the hinge assemblies frames. In both cases the springs, through wear, had elongated the holes reducing spring tension

GAT
06-13-2021, 07:25 PM
Thank you ,I'll take a look at that.

jdsnoddy
06-13-2021, 07:30 PM
The real issue is the work it takes to remove the hinges and reinstall them and align the hood etc. When you get the hinges off, it should be no problem to fix the elongated holes.

Egenolf
06-14-2021, 12:53 AM
John,

You are absolutely right.

Here are the hinges of 1966 that we overhauled in winter:

The red arrows indicate the critical points. I welded these points and drilled them again. We replaced one of the rivets with a corresponding screw.

https://up.picr.de/41423149ke.jpeg

The disassembling of the spring works with a large screwdriver, the mounting works with a tension belt and a large vice.

Here the result of the rebuilt hinge:

https://youtu.be/i-l-YA3OVkc

The Reassembly of the hood requires two people.

Mark Norris
06-14-2021, 06:58 AM
Nice powerful hood springs how. I must admit my hood balances at only about 2/3 the angle you've achieved in the video. Regardless of the balance angle I use a hood prop whenever I'm working under there in order to relieve the stress on the hood skin since it once popped the spot welds on my car. I must have spent 2 hrs getting the hood re-aligned properly at the scuttle ...some of the hinge positioning is a little counter-intuitive.

Pat Marshall
06-14-2021, 08:42 AM
Both of my hood hinges had elongated holes at the left arrow in Holger's photo. The first repair I sent to Shelby Mix in Manchester TN whose brother did the work - Cost $400.

The 2nd set I took to a local welder and he repaired them - Cost a bottle of Buffalo Trace Bourbon.

GAT
06-14-2021, 05:54 PM
Thank so much I checked ,your right . Have to take care of that in winter .

GAT
06-14-2021, 05:55 PM
Thank you also ,I'll have to fix it in the winter . nice video .

David Smart
07-06-2021, 09:49 PM
John,

You are absolutely right.

Here are the hinges of 1966 that we overhauled in winter:

The red arrows indicate the critical points. I welded these points and drilled them again. We replaced one of the rivets with a corresponding screw.

https://up.picr.de/41423149ke.jpeg

The disassembling of the spring works with a large screwdriver, the mounting works with a tension belt and a large vice.

Here the result of the rebuilt hinge:

https://youtu.be/i-l-YA3OVkc

The Reassembly of the hood requires two people.

Does this right arrow weld and redrill repair solve the problem of the hood being too high in the rear?

Thanks, Dave Smart

Egenolf
07-07-2021, 01:31 PM
Dave,

yes it does, al least if you repair both holes and if you also replace the spring.

GAT
07-08-2021, 04:58 PM
Hello. where did you get the springs ,is there a part no. Thank you.

Egenolf
07-08-2021, 11:13 PM
I do not know a part number.

I had the springs built here in Germany.

Barry Wolk
07-14-2021, 07:00 AM
I just did two hoods. One had elongated holes for the rivets and the other had elongated holes for the spring. The spring holes cause the hood to drop and the pivot pin wear causes the hood to ride high. Some times, if the pivot pin wear isn't too bad the hinges can be adjusted, but that work is not for the faint of heart as nearly al the panels under the dash need to be removed to access the 4 nuts on the interior that bolt the hinges to the body. If your hood rides high simply loosen all 4 bolts on each hinge, lower the hood, position it and tighten the inside nuts and then lift the hood to tighten the others.

The hood on my car was missing nearly 1/4" of metal. Restoring those surfaces caused the spring to stretch more, making the hood stand proud.

Shelly Harris
07-15-2021, 09:07 AM
Wonderful info here.... don't want to piss off the thin skinned so here's advanced notice this thread is going to get moved over to the Technical section.

patsbodyshop
06-15-2022, 10:38 AM
hi I seen you post on hood springs and wanted to reach out to see if you want to sell a pair or if you could get me the measurements of the springs, length, diameter number of coils size of wire kind of thing? I'm in the middle of a restoration and the car had no springs on it when we got it.

Thank you
Andy Grundman
Pat's body shop
Wausau WI 54401
715-848-9153 is my shop phone
715-432-8123 is my cell
andy@patsbodyshop.com

Milsteads Garage
06-15-2022, 11:25 PM
My car has 56-57 Lincoln premiere hood hinges on it. Unfortunately I have the weaker springs/hinges from the premiere so the hood will not stay up on its own. From what I’ve observed, to make a premiere hinge work, you must use a continental spring plus gusset the front hinge to keep it from bending.