PDA

View Full Version : Paint Codes

Mike Teske
06-06-2021, 06:23 PM
Starting a thread to try and collect information on how to procure the original paint mixes. Seems like many have had problems so if we can collect the information in one place then we can reset the clock on how to procure the correct paint.

I am having a challenge with the paint code 08 Deep Bronze

the painter (a friend) and I have not been able find a paint mix that matches the unique color

Here are some pictures of 2990 which I think is similar to what original paint is remaining on 1791
And here is the remaining paint from 1791

Anyone have any ideas on how to get the correct paint mixed today?

We should add the other paint codes if anyone has information on them

Thanks and cheers

Mike
gt40guy@hotmail.com
865-323-6643

jdsnoddy
06-07-2021, 05:50 AM
Mike:
Please help me out here. I am searching for understanding.
In this day of modern technology, why can't you take a sample, like under the back seat, trunk, or some other hidden place, have it analyzed on the spectrum like they do at Lowes and Home Depot? Help me out here please.

Mike Teske
06-07-2021, 06:09 AM
We tried that John but the place you get the sample needed to be flat and large enough to let the spectrum analyzer sit flat. The only are we had that was original paint was not large enough or flat enough. Also- the metallic size and content is a not precise with the spectrum analyzer from what they said. So finding the original formula would be best- if at all possible.

jdsnoddy
06-07-2021, 07:13 AM
Kewl. Totally understand. Thanks.
Buddy Holiday had a paint page in his book which identified matches circa 1973. You might start by updating his work.

Egenolf
06-07-2021, 07:20 AM
The dealers book contains paint samples.

https://up.picr.de/41376171wv.jpeg

Are they large enough?

jdsnoddy
06-07-2021, 07:28 AM
Holger:
You are amazing. Do you also have samples of the DSO colors?

Egenolf
06-07-2021, 08:09 AM
John,

too much honor, unfortunately I do not have a dealers book but I have a pdf file/photos of the dealers book from the Henry Ford Museum.

Someone will have this book and maybe he will provide us with the paint samples on loan.

Egenolf
06-07-2021, 08:43 AM
In the meantime I have called my painter.

In his opinion, the paint samples in the dealers book are large enough but there is another problem:

Each paint manufacturer has its own color system. If you analyze the paint samples with the system of Sikkens, you have to use Sikkens paints to mix the right color.

Pat Marshall
06-07-2021, 10:28 AM
There were two dealer books one with the original colors and a later one which included the "1957" paint chips.

I have a 1956 book and it matches the paint samples that Holger posted. I didn't know there was a 1957 book until I visited Rick Schmidt of NPD, Ocala, FL in 2014. I went there to see the Ford brothers' cars which they had restored.

While there, Rick showed me their Dealer Book and I saw that it was different from mine. I didn't know there was a '57 book and Rick and his father, Jim, didn't know there was '56 version of the book.

When Continental closed down they told the employees to take what they wanted because everything was going to be thrown away. An employee rescued the Dealer Book from the library which subsequently ended up in the hands of Rick's father, Jim.

I think I may have a photo of the '57 book's paint chips. If I find it I'll post it.

Mike Teske
06-07-2021, 08:17 PM
Holger, I think Sikkens is one of the best companies around these days so that’s a great supplier. Well it seems like if you have all these we should somehow fund you to go get them scanned LOL it would be a great service for everyone but I don’t want to intrude. But can you think of any other options?

Mike Teske
06-09-2021, 09:15 PM
Holger- I am sorry to have misread your response- I now understand you do not have a dealer's book. So we continue the search.

but is anyone has mixing information for any of the original paints- please post them here so we can help others in the future

Pat Marshall
06-11-2021, 10:31 AM
In my searching for paint - I came across this for TCP Global Auto Color:

https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/

Then selected 1950-1977 Classic Library

Then selected 1956 and then Lincoln (no better choice available)

and under 1956 Lincoln selected Page 3

which shows the 1956 Continental colors from the 1955 Ditzler Production Color Book

I then called Auto Color at 858-909-2110 and talked to Sonny. He said that they have all the original formulas. I said "Then, you don't need paint samples?" He answered that they don't!

The ball's in your court, Mike!

jdsnoddy
06-11-2021, 02:03 PM
Nice job! Woo hoo. Thanks for this info. J

Pat Marshall
06-11-2021, 03:31 PM
Some more interesting information.

https://tcpglobal.com/pages/about-us

Mike Teske
06-12-2021, 09:52 AM
Wow- Great work Pat!!

I called my painter this morning and we will order a quart to do a spay panel for comparison I will share the steps along the way!

Mike Teske
01-05-2022, 07:17 PM
OK great news- we evidently have a supplier for original paint!
TPC global has a listing of Continental colors at this link:

https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/pages/1956-Lincoln.html#parentHorizontalTab3

I ordered a quart each of Acrylic Urethane and Acrylic Lacquer to do some sample spray outs. The Lacquer paint was spot on- the Urethane was close but did not show enough metalflake compared to the original (although I will say the color shade was correct).
There was just a little section of 1791 that had the original paint left and in the attached photo is showing how well the test spray (on top) matches the original part (bottom with holes in it).
S[ATTACH=CONFIG]24516[/ATTACH

So...folks - great news! It looks like we now have a source for original paints!!
Cheers

jdsnoddy
01-06-2022, 04:40 AM
That's an amazing color match. Thanks for this.
Very best regards,
John

Barry Wolk
01-06-2022, 05:07 AM
I’ve been told by many painters that you can never precisely match old colors as the base materials have changed. I’ve never seen an exact match. A paint job never turns out like the original, just like painting a house. Close is all you can hope for.

Pat Marshall
01-06-2022, 05:59 AM
https://youtu.be/Qqnp-JBko0Y

The Auto Color Library

TCP Global’s Auto Color Library is the world’s largest online auto paint color reference library in the world. The Auto Color Library Slogan “Where yesterday’s colors come alive today” is true! The library contains the actual automotive paint color standard reference chips for nearly all makes and models since automobiles were made, all the way back to the year 1900 and all the way up to the current automobiles made now in 2021. There are even color references back to the 1880’s, the days of Coach and Carriages. The ACL even contains extremely rare color references for loads of imported cars, makes, and models all the way back to the 1930’s. If you need to restore any vintage or classic vehicle then this is the place to find the original OEM colors, as well as purchase the coating needed to complete your restoration project.

The Room

The Auto Color Library Room at TCP Global’s facility in San Diego, has the world's history of automotive paint color standards very organized, indexed,and archived just like a library or museum would do. The actual room is more like museum that takes you through the history of color along with all the authentic collectibles and nostalgia pieces from within auto paint industry like old original paint cans, Ditzler Mixing Equipment, and Devilbiss Spray Guns from the turn of the century. The vast amount of information within the Auto Color Library is the product over 46 years of collecting color data from sources like Paint Manufacturers (PPG, Dupont, Sherwin-Williams, R-M), current and retired paint sales representatives, travels throughout the U.S, Canada and Europe, as well as scouring for information at auto swap meets. Within the Auto Color Library you can step back in time and see the actual paint color standards way back to when the coating were made in Varnishes, Japan Lacquers and the First Enamels. Some of the oldest paint brands were Murphy Lacquer, Lincoln Lacquer, Dural and Ditzler. Within them you’ll find original colors for such long gone classic cars such as Oakland, Hupmobile, Willys, Hudson, Nash, Packard and Edsel. Just go to autocolorlibrary.com and follow the simple instructions on how to look up any color information you need. On many Makes and Models the interior, stripe, trim and accent color information is available as well.

Jimmy "Chips" Wells

Jim has been involved in the automotive coatings industry since the 1950’s. He was a leading Sales Representative for PPG Ditzler back in the 1960’s and was the owner of several automotive paint supply jobber stores in the 1970’s until the late 1980’s. Jim kept busy in the industry though the 1990’s and has been the curator archiving the Auto Color Library for over 30 years.

Customer Service
(858) 909-2110

Milsteads Garage
01-06-2022, 10:25 AM
When it came time to paint my car, I opted for Elizabeth Taylor blue. As the YouTube video suggested, the color was copied and is marketed as a Ford/Lincoln blue diamond metallic. Problem is, there are 4 shades of the same color all influenced by base ingredients as well as sealer color. I chose a slightly lighter blue diamond metallic so it matches my better halves eyes as well. My thoughts on this is I would choose whatever paint color seems right to you because a urethane base/clear or even a single stage is going to look completely different than the original.

Pat Marshall
02-23-2022, 01:37 PM
I've ordered a quart of the 05 Deep Green paint from TCP Global.

A few years ago, I decided (don't know what I was thinking) that I was going to change my 1494's color from 05 Deep Green to the Mark VIII Emerald Green, so I repainted the engine compartment to that color. I've regretted that ever since and am going to change it back.

It looks like TCP Global may be the "real deal" for original Mark II colors, so today I ordered a quart. We'll see...!

huguesdesaintperier
03-04-2022, 04:18 AM
Hello from France and thank you all for the informations.
I am trying to find the exterior paint codes for my 02 DEEP BLUE 1956 MARK II C56A1418
I saw that the PANTONE is 2767C. Could you confirm ?
And the Ditzler could be 11454. You confirm ?
Could you help me to give the good informations to my painter so that he can easily find the good color ?
Thanks a lot ! Merci beaucoup !

Pat Marshall
03-04-2022, 06:59 AM
Ditzler is 11454. See the previous post Too good to be true? regarding TCP Global paint.