PDA

View Full Version : Mark ii rolls in park

machrcode
04-11-2021, 11:00 AM
I just got the car back on the ground and found it rolls in park shifter is right on the money in all other gears any ideas

thanks

Nick

jdsnoddy
04-11-2021, 12:26 PM
Please read this link:
https://www.markiiforum.com/showthread.php?194-Mark-II-Transmissions&highlight=Rolls+Park
Don Herschel wrote:
When I reinstalled my transmission in my Mark after rebuilding, it did the same thing "ticking". The Park pawl was slipping due to the gear selector linkage slightly out of adjustment. The pawl locks into a toothed wheel on the output shaft to hold the car in park. You SHOULD NOT USE ONLY your park to hold your car on a steep hill because it can be very difficult to take your car out of park with all the weight on this pawl. You can damage this pawl and toothed wheel by trying to force it out of park! I push my brake pedal down hard, apply the park brake, release the brake pedal to make sure the park brake is holding and then place selector in park. If your car still rolls in park after you check your linkage adjustment, you may have a damaged or worn park pawl/toothed wheel. I think you might be able to get to this by removing the rear housing and or tail housing of the tranmission (if you have room which I doubt!). Its been since the early 90's since I worked on this model.
Here is some good reading on this and other models for those who want to see what makes it "tick"
http://www.charlietranny.com/Fordomatic.htm
This transmission is actualy quite simple to work on compared to the newer models.
C56K3391
Two-Tone 05/16
1950 Mercury Sedan

machrcode
04-11-2021, 06:47 PM
Please read this link:
https://www.markiiforum.com/showthread.php?194-Mark-II-Transmissions&highlight=Rolls+Park
Don Herschel wrote:
When I reinstalled my transmission in my Mark after rebuilding, it did the same thing "ticking". The Park pawl was slipping due to the gear selector linkage slightly out of adjustment. The pawl locks into a toothed wheel on the output shaft to hold the car in park. You SHOULD NOT USE ONLY your park to hold your car on a steep hill because it can be very difficult to take your car out of park with all the weight on this pawl. You can damage this pawl and toothed wheel by trying to force it out of park! I push my brake pedal down hard, apply the park brake, release the brake pedal to make sure the park brake is holding and then place selector in park. If your car still rolls in park after you check your linkage adjustment, you may have a damaged or worn park pawl/toothed wheel. I think you might be able to get to this by removing the rear housing and or tail housing of the tranmission (if you have room which I doubt!). Its been since the early 90's since I worked on this model.
Here is some good reading on this and other models for those who want to see what makes it "tick"
http://www.charlietranny.com/Fordomatic.htm
This transmission is actualy quite simple to work on compared to the newer models.
C56K3391
Two-Tone 05/16
1950 Mercury Sedan

thanks for the info but this has no click at all seems to do nothing in park I was hoping there was an adjustment on the transmission. I also wonder if it could have been broken flatbedding the car

jdsnoddy
04-12-2021, 07:10 AM
So, did you read the entire thread? Did you check the adjustment to the park paw?
Check the condition of the park paw pin? Check the condition of the park paw spring? The lack of clicking might indicate that yours is so far gone, it doesn't even try to engage.
Please give us an idea of where you are in your troubleshooting process. Good luck. John

P.S. Could you please give us the VIN of the car your working on? Thanks and best regards. Jds

PSS:. Whenever the park paw was damaged or broken, you would have known it. You would have felt it and heard it. Unlikely that you could have damaged it on a flatbed without knowing what happened.

machrcode
04-15-2021, 12:29 PM
Sorry I am not able to open the first link customer wants to drive the car a bit before we try to remove the tail shaft if that is even possible in the car
Thanks for the help

So, did you read the entire thread? Did you check the adjustment to the park paw?
Check the condition of the park paw pin? Check the condition of the park paw spring? The lack of clicking might indicate that yours is so far gone, it doesn't even try to engage.
Please give us an idea of where you are in your troubleshooting process. Good luck. John

P.S. Could you please give us the VIN of the car your working on? Thanks and best regards. Jds

jdsnoddy
04-15-2021, 02:28 PM
You're welcome. Before removing the drive shaft make sure you Mark it. The drive shaft is balanced and must go back together exactly as it came apart. Otherwise it will shake/vibrate.

You might be able to create enough room by removing the radiator and fan then shift the engine forward. Please let us know if you are able to service this without removing the engine and transmission and not damaging the frame. Good luck. John