PDA

View Full Version : electric motor rebuild

Duke
04-10-2021, 07:41 AM
any advice on clean up or tune up in the electric motors before i tear into one....they work but seem slow

Knickoliss Iv
04-11-2021, 12:44 AM
I rebuilt only my quarter window motors so far. The large gear is pressed in (not that tight). You need to carefully remove the staked in spring plate in order to get the brass pivot ball and shaft out in order to clean everything up right. There was a felt washer in there. Also take note of the ball bearings. To put the armature back in, I used a guitar string to hold the brushes in place routed out through the bolt hole then pulled the string out once the armature was seated. I didn't take too many photos so I cannot show how I did the brushes. I thought my motors were trashed by a poor previous rebuild but I was able to make them work perfectly just by correctly reassembling them. 21196

Knickoliss Iv
04-11-2021, 01:16 AM

I did not take the field coils out so I used electronic parts cleaner on those parts. The wires are a before shot and you can see they were not soldered well and were the wrong color and the motors had been spray painted black. In one photo you can see the felt washer and brass ball in place before staking in the spring washer. Last is a shot of the completed motors.

Knickoliss Iv
04-11-2021, 01:21 AM
I hope all of my photos posted. It is very difficult to add photos to the forum with my phone.

jdsnoddy
04-11-2021, 07:15 AM
Unfortunately your pics did not post. FYzI. Best regards, John

Duke
04-11-2021, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the first picture..... so it is possible to clean them up... I am sure mine are original and unmolested. I was afraid there was some sort of magic tooling or such to prevent access. I guess I will do all of the motors since i am already this far.

Knickoliss Iv
04-11-2021, 10:19 AM
Here they are again. My apologies for not loading properly the first time. In the photo of the two motors you will see they are different. I'm not sure why but I found that the one that does not have the molded band around it (for lack of better description) has the insulators around the armature windings made of wood! That is definitely original so I am curious if one or the other has been replaced from another car at some point. I regret not taking a picture. I hope these help.

jdsnoddy
04-11-2021, 12:15 PM
Beautiful! Thanks.