PDA

View Full Version : Lost in California wild fires

Mark Norris
03-14-2021, 04:04 AM
I came across this photo of a Mkii lost, among other classic cars, in the California wild fires. Shocking sight.

I wonder which one it is.

Pat Marshall
03-14-2021, 07:16 AM
I'd love to get that VIN! What was your source for that photo?

Speaking of Mark II's and fires. Attached is a newspaper photo of Mark II legend Buddy Holiday's 3682 which was severely burned in the Columbia Ranch, Burbank studio fire on September 9th, 1974

In his Continental Mark II Owners Association Newsletter - 1986 Nov-Dec Vol 10, No 1 - he mentioned the car "In 1971 m love was rekindled when I was driving down Wilshire Blvd. in Beverly Hills and spotted two Mark IIs on a used car lot...one had a Leopard interior and fender skirts that extended all the way back to the bumper. The other #3682 was minus the complete interor and was white as was the other one. #3682 was supposed to have been color #20, a medium green iridescent and was the one I bought and tenderly restored it twice, having been destoryed once in a movie studio-set fire"

jdsnoddy
03-14-2021, 08:59 AM
That's a lot of love and a whole lot of money. Thanks for sharing. John

Mark Norris
03-14-2021, 12:57 PM
Hi Pat,

The burnt out photo is one of a sad series shown in Classic and Sportscar which is a top classic car magazine in the UK. Lots of tears and insurance claims. Here is the whole series (click on the photo and then hit the arrow to cycle through);

https://www.classicandsportscar.com/gallery/haunting-images-cars-caught-california-wildfires