PDA

View Full Version : Fla Mecum Auction is telling us sonething

Shelly Harris
02-05-2021, 01:04 PM
Watched for a couple of hours and it appears that the poor current economy is having no effect on gorgeous extremely rare cars, e.g. Shelby's own 1964 Roadster ($4.5 million),
but prices on gorgeous (customized or original) popular cars from the 1950's are mired in the $40K to $70K area...very, very few could bust past $70K. What a good time to get someone's gorgeous project car for well less then $100K. So many were really gorgeous... ready for someone's museum.... perfect in every detail but going begging........ If you have the cash now is the time to pick up gorgeous restorations of those cars which are not rare but otherwise very collectable.

Mark II Seeker
02-05-2021, 03:16 PM
Shelly,

That seems to be the consensus opinion of the collector car "experts" and it's most likely to continue and accelerate IMO as we baby boomers who know and love these cars continue to age out of the market. Bargains to be had but buy it because you love it and for no other reason. Unfortunately, I think that hold especially true for the Mark II since few knew them back in the day and Lincoln products in general seem to have soft prices relative to other brands.

jdsnoddy
02-05-2021, 07:13 PM
True. It's all about supply and demand. It blows my mind that a VW bus with 65 hp can bring $100,000 while a Continental Mark II with 300 hp can sell for much less. J

Jeff Smith
02-05-2021, 08:46 PM
My Dad loved big cars. My interest in Lincolns began when I was 15 years old and he bought an 8 year old 61 Continental that I ended up taking my drivers test in. In the 1990's he always said that the early sixties Lincolns and the Mark II would all go over $100,000 dollars. He also always said that Mustangs would never be worth collecting as an investment because there were so many of them made. Lol He passed away many years ago but I still love the mark II and the 61-63 Lincoln and 61 Thunderbird. May he rest in peace and I hope that all of us who enjoy the "oddball" cars get enjoy them despite their not being as valuable as we think they should be.