PDA

View Full Version : 1956 Mark 2 transmission question

GasWorksGarage
12-01-2020, 07:34 AM
Can anyone confirm that there are 2 bolts located in the converter housing that connect the gear box to the housing that can only be accessed buy pulling splitting the engine and transmission?
1956 Mark 2

thanks in advance

Mark Norris
12-01-2020, 08:47 AM
No, I don't think so. In the the five Ford-O-Matic manuals I have there seems to be only 4 bolts holding the transmission case to the convertor housing and all are accessed from the outside

Egenolf
12-01-2020, 09:31 AM
No, I don't think so. In the the five Ford-O-Matic manuals I have there seems to be only 4 bolts holding the transmission case to the convertor housing and all are accessed from the outside

Mark, I agree!

Here you can see three of them:

https://up.picr.de/39987581no.jpeg

Unfortunately I have only one partially picture of the housing without converter:

https://up.picr.de/39987577pe.jpeg

Milsteads Garage
12-01-2020, 12:14 PM
There are bolts that go in from the bellhousing side making it to where you have to pull the bolts out of the perimeter of the bellhousing where it bolts onto the engine. Even if you could do it that way you will run into two problems. The tail shaft of the transmission sits somewhat in the frame if I remember right which makes the transmission a pain to take out if the engine is still in place. Next problem you will run into is seating the converter back into the pump. You are more than likely to damage your new front seal and not line the converter back up versus being able to put it back together. Easiest way is to pull the engine and do it on the ground instead of being underneath trying to fight it.

GasWorksGarage
12-01-2020, 08:34 PM
Pulled today no bolts on the inside of the bell housing. I had to pull the engine then the bell housing and converter then gear box out of car. I will assemble the reverse order.

Thanks for the info and any future info. Please let me know if I am missing something.

GasWorksGarage
12-01-2020, 08:46 PM
Reason for pulling out the transmission. A guy I know was driving it, he calls and said the car isn't moving. I go where he is. Car has reverse but not forward in any gear. I checked the fluid it's full but smelled really burnt. I figured he burnt up the band and or clutches.