PDA

View Full Version : washer bottle bracket color

Duke
11-22-2020, 07:55 PM
anyone know the correct finish for a 1956 water bottle bracket? seems the choices are black or plated the color of the tin top. I've seen pics of both.

Mark Norris
11-23-2020, 09:12 AM
Here is a blow up from one of Ford's in house period pictures, looks like its grey like the bottle lid;

That's how it is on my car and, by the look of the finish, it seems original.

lld
11-23-2020, 01:45 PM
When I first looked at my bracket, I thought it was the same color as the top. However, after looking closer, it is not painted. It appears to be plated but not chrome plated. The bracket is strongly magnetic so I don't think it is stainless. It is a tinny color. I have no idea if it is original.

Larry

Blacktophat
02-05-2022, 10:31 PM
I’m thinking it’s zinc plated but not polished. Zinc will also grey over time.

Barry Wolk
02-06-2022, 07:12 AM
I’m thinking it’s zinc plated but not polished. Zinc will also grey over time.

I believe the early cars had zinc-plated booster housings, also.. I used Eastwood’s plating kit with an extra jug of acid to do a bottle bracket.

Barry Wolk
02-06-2022, 12:08 PM
Trico made the antenna, antenna vacuum switch, temperature control vacuum switch, wiper motor and coordinated spray washer bottle. They made them for just about everyone in the US while Bosch had the European market.

The OEM Chevrolet bracket I got recently was the same as the Mark II bottle bracket, except it had a different rear mounting tab, made of steel and lightly zinc plated. I have a few washer bottles and lids. The lids looks like they were formed of metal that already had a shiny silver metallic finish before it was formed.