PDA

View Full Version : Radio removal

GLyons
10-25-2020, 06:45 PM
Can anyone give me a brief description of what the procedure is to remove a Mark II radio from the dash.

jdsnoddy
10-26-2020, 07:35 AM
Radio-Town & Country Removal/Repair/Conversion
The radio is not a joy to remove. Sort of like placing a square peg into a round home, but it can be done. I've done it more than once. From page 245 of the shop manual.

Disconnect battery.

Remove glovebox liner and the four screws holding the check arm.

Disconnect glovebox door spring.

Remove the four screws securing glove compartment door hinge to support.

Slide check arm from glovebox door.

Remove Glovebox.

Remove three screws at the left side of glovebox cover assembly. Raise left side of cover to gain access to right side of radio.

Loosen nut on right side of radio and disconnect antenna lead.

Remove seven screws that secure lower instrument panel assembly. Disconnect done and courtesy lamp switch assembly wires. Radio antenna valve assembly hoses, and remove turn signal flasher unit from bracket. Remove lower instrument panel.

Remove access panel at left hand side of radio tower.

Disconnect speaker leads at rear of radio.

Disconnect power lead and dial light lead at radio.

Loosen nut on left hand side of radio support.

Remove radio knobs, discs, and two nuts securing radio to dash.

Move radio assembly toward the upper dash panel to allow controls to clear holes in dash. Remove radio assembly through access opening.

To install, reverse.

Makes you just want to hum doesn't it?

I once had a list of all the tube #'s. If the tubes or vibrator are bad, those could be replaced by yourself. However, if the radio has more issues than just tubes, unless you have knowledge of electronics (older), then you might need to call in a professional. I had my radio repaired some years ago. In point of fact they had it for over two years! It cost around $500. It lasted for a few months. I hum now.
Last edited by Pat Marshall; 06-08-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Howard Hanchett
1956 Continental Mark II C5691376

Dominick Toscano
10-26-2020, 12:18 PM
great post John, Technically thorough,& a great sense of humor thrown in...refreshing to see a post like that!!!! Hum.

lld
10-28-2020, 06:57 PM
I looked through my notes on radio removal taken from other posts on the forum. The procedure described by John is one that I had in my notes, here is the other (sorry don't remember who posted this on the forum) along with some photos.

I just removed a radio and have posted some pictures. I did a couple of things different from Linc for what they are worth.
I did not remove the glove box (a major project on it's own) but got access to the antenna plug and right side bracket with the glove box open.

I pulled the ignition switch and lighter out of the dash and let them hang by the wires.

Once I had the knobs and nuts off (I used a pair of flat nosed pliers) I pushed the radio back far enough to turn it 90 degrees so the front faced the opening and worked it out from there.

I could reach the left side speaker screws through the access panel and the right side screws through the glove box opening.

I thought it might be good to have both procedures in this thread.

Larry

Mike Teske
10-30-2020, 07:14 PM
I tried both procedures and found that the glove box route was easier and less damaging on the radio and the components around it when removing and installing. For what it’s worth

Jack Bowser
11-22-2020, 03:21 PM
I’m curious why you removed the speaker.

I have my radio out and didn’t touch the speaker. I didn’t remove the ign switch, wiper switch or the lighter either.

I removed it last year so I’m forgetting but I think I did bring it out on the left side.

My radio was in like new condition and never worked on. All the tubes were original and all still good. Vibratory and buffer capacitor were also still working. There are 10 paper capicators in these radioes so over 65 years these type of capacitors dry out do I replaced all of them and one out of tolerance resistor in the power supply and it’s now playing great. Even though the buffer capacitor was good (it shouldn’t have still been good) I replaced it. Even the town and country circuit and clutch were still good.