PDA

View Full Version : Quarter window motor

Rob Walker
07-08-2020, 07:34 PM
Up date on the quarter window motor replacement. Originally in this post https://www.markiiforum.com/showthread.php?9249-Charging-system-up-date.
We ordered a conversion kit from MK11 Enterprises,they required the old motor for the driven gear.
All arrived in very short order and I proceeded to do the install.
The wiring diagram was out dated and had to phone to get the location for the main battery feed, it is not used and is capped off.
That was a waste of and hour and a half.
The motor worked very well as intended UNTIL the weld between the shaft and adapter gear broke which required complete removal of the rear seat and trim to get back to the motor.
Very disappointing on this vehicle as the upholstery has been re done in suede leather and is white in color.
I removed the motor and the adapted drive gear and called MK11, Jack didn't have to much to say.
I didn't want to weld the assembly together as the shaft with the gear is the most important part that can't be bought, I drilled through the adapter and shaft and installed a 5/32 roll pin through the complete unit,ground off the excess and re assembled the car.
I do however recommend this conversion kit that MK11 sells as it eliminated the weakness in the original design.
I hope everyone is safe and healthy.