PDA

View Full Version : Stretch Drive #1211

rlafash
06-17-2020, 07:00 AM
Good morning all. Hope you are well and continuing to stay ahead of all of today's illness and controversies. At the age of seventy-five, I am entering the stretch drive on completion of my Mark II. It is #1211; I am the third owner; it is a one of one (due to seat colors) according to the data sheet; has 26,000 documented miles. I've had the car for just over a year. The paint, original code #5, and very minor body work were just completed. Bumpers were re-chromed. The rest of the exterior is original except for the front and rear "C's". The drive train required nothing except for installation of a Pertronix ignition and oil pressure sender. According to the previous owner, the power seats, vent windows and rear 1/4 windows have not operated since he bought the car in 1965.

Last week I cleaned and replaced the gears in the seat motors. They operate as new!

Upon inspection, I found that both vent window assemblies were missing. I was able to find a complete assembly for the left, drivers side. No luck as yet in locating an assembly for the right passenger side. I do have a complete left side to trade.

This week I started on the rear 1/4 windows. The motors and all electrical components operate, however, the motors spin but do not engage the drive assemblies. I've removed, cleaned and lubed and reinstalled the assemblies. Other then some minor corrosion and solidified white lithium grease which cleaned up well, the only remaining issue is replacement of the brass drive gears in the motors. In inspecting the motors, it's obvious that the gears require replacement. I see no pins, set screw or or other obvious method used to attach the brass gears to the steel drive shafts. That leaves me to ask, are the brass gears a "press fit" to the steel shafts? Can they be driven off the shafts? If so, what's the best method of removal? Would heating the parts facilitate removal? I certainly don't want to screw up one or both of these motors. Your help is sincerely appreciated. I can see the finish line!

rlafash
07-07-2020, 09:17 AM
Some additional, late descovered information: while the rear 1/4 window motors ran, and offered me encouragement as to proper operation, further inspection reveals that the motor armature shafts in both motors had snapped in the "screw/gear area". so much for my optimism; back to the drawing board!

Graham Rollo
07-08-2020, 05:32 AM
Have you tried Mark II Enterprises

rlafash
07-08-2020, 09:16 AM
Yes, rear 1/4 window motors and drive assemblies are in their possession; awaiting rebuild and return. Still no solution to lack of right, passenger side vent window assembly which is missing from my car. Mark II has no replacements and require a useable core for rebuilding. Hoping to locate a complete assembly and use my complete, operational left, driver side assembly as a partial trade, or outright purchase. No luck so far. Had one member respond that he would check his inventory, however, never heard anything more and no reply from him to my follow up email requests.

lld
07-08-2020, 10:24 AM
Have you tried Howard Hussey in Canada? He has a lot of posting right now on EBAY.

Larry

Knickoliss Iv
07-08-2020, 11:13 AM
Good morning! I have also been working on my quarter windows and the brass gear is definitely pressed on. I used a soft punch to tap the shaft out. It isn't on tight at all and mine were very crusty! To put them back on, I used a C clamp since it is easier than needing a second pair of hands to stabilize. One of my motors was in good shape except for crusty grease and the other is a mess. A previous rebuilder, who placed a sticker on the motor, did more harm than good on the right side. They forced the brass pivot balls out of the sockets and lost both ball bearings, then crammed the assembly back together with odd home made spacers, painted it and slapped the sticker on. I wonder if it worked when they sent it out? I also have the switches done and will move on to the track assemblies after this motor. Any questions and I might be along the same stage as you. Have a nice day!

Nccco
07-08-2020, 12:44 PM
Hello all I came the owner of 3292 in the middle of complete restoration . I'm in the same situation my vent window mecanisem were robbed from both doors. I solved the problem with 1965 thunderbird vent window motors I found on eBay. They are slightly smaller and connect to the shaft differently but no alteration to the window. I'll try to post a picture if it doesn't work m email is
f.lasure@yahoo.com
Fred Lasure

Rob Walker
07-08-2020, 07:42 PM
Before you install those motors if you are using the conversion kits DRILL and install a roll pin in the adapter. See my post on quarter window motors.
The welds where of such poor quality that there was no penetration to the shaft.

rlafash
07-09-2020, 09:16 AM
I did. He had previously sold the part I needed. Such is life!

jimgnj
07-11-2020, 11:49 PM
lincolnfarm <lincolnfarm@atlanticbb.net>

parts out over 150 cars. Sent me hard to find stuff.

rlafash
07-13-2020, 07:34 AM
Thank you for the recommendation.

Joseph Stebbins
07-14-2020, 03:54 PM
I just got back to the storage area and I only have a spare Drivers side vent window no Passenger one :(. Sorry

rlafash
07-15-2020, 05:50 AM
Thank you for checking Mr. Stebbins. Seems to be the answer I'm getting everywhere. No rights, a few lefts.

Joseph Stebbins
07-15-2020, 07:42 AM
Keep an eye on the car on ebay that was crushed by a tree. It will most likely go to one of the parts suppliers - LM Old Parts, Mark II Enterprises, Lincolnland etc... I note it does have the vent window you are looking for. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-Lincoln-Mark-Series-/333648094240?nma=true&si=LTbhaZaLyoBUbiSUEI%252FNyF9rvGw%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557