PDA

View Full Version : Charging system up date.

Rob Walker
06-09-2020, 09:27 PM
Has any one done a successful update to their charging system , I'm aware of the Gener-Nator set up by Don Allen.
I was hoping to go with a Delco 10SI but bracketry and pulley selection might be prohibitive.

jdsnoddy
06-10-2020, 06:25 AM
Rob:
Welcome. Which car are you working on?
Why do you need an upgrade? The original generator system when working properly, is sufficient.
What issues are you experiencing?
Perhaps it's related to drain/electrical short and not the generator or voltage regulator. John

To me putting Delco/GM parts on a FoMoCo vehicle is sacrilege. Jds

Rob Walker
06-10-2020, 11:22 AM
John, I hear you on mixing parts however this car doesn't get ran a lot, the owner may only put 500 miles on it in a year. He has had it with charging system problems,being that this particular generator is longer than the Ford generators of the day(30 amps) availability for components is an issue. Car is equipped with a battery disconnect switch. This is a 56 MK!11. Car is lowered and most of the chrome trim is no longer on the car. It's just a toy and he want's a little more reliability. Thanks for the reply.

jdsnoddy
06-10-2020, 08:06 PM
Suggest a battery trickler. Good luck, John

Rob Walker
06-11-2020, 10:20 AM
John: I've done a little diagnostic work and determined that the voltage regulator is not working, I'm going to replace it and see if I can make the old one functional. Full fielding the generator showed me on my VAT 28 that the generator is capable of self energizing and meeting the current capabilities. Client has several battery tenders and I have installed a disconnect switch on this vehicle as the clock runs all the time. This car has no outside door handles but is equipped with remotely controlled solenoids to actuate the door release mechanisms. A parasitic load of 70 ma is present all of the time,hence the disconnect.

jdsnoddy
06-12-2020, 07:30 AM
Rob:
Congrats. You are on right track.
Along with the electric clock drain, the Mercury switches for the engine hood and deck lid sometimes are faulty; most peeps just remove the bulbs. Keep going. Eliminate all electrical loads and repair/replace the voltage regulator and you should be good to go. Good luck. John

Rob Walker
06-12-2020, 06:49 PM
John: A little up date. Installed the voltage regulator (one four the 40 amp generator) and all is well. Got the fuel leak that I did not mention fixed,the allen head bolt that holds the sediment/filter housing to the fuel pump was loose. The right rear quarter window was in-op ,the motor turns in both directions however the armature is broken where it makes contact with the brass gear. Any suggestions on a replacement motor? Possible part number on the motor is JC-13724-RH. It and the fuel pump are both made by AC.

jdsnoddy
06-13-2020, 06:32 AM
Since your motor still turns both directions, look for a solution to make contact with the drive gear. You might want to seek out a local tool and dye maker to assess what you have and the fabricate a solution. Bottom line:
Try to fix what you have.
I do not understand any question you may have concerning the fuel pump/sediment bowl.
Again, try to fix what you have.
Good luck. John

lld
06-13-2020, 07:08 AM
Rob,

Howard Hussey who may still be using the forum is parting out at least one Mark II. He has a lot of parts on EBAY right now. He might have a good used motor.

I would try contacting him through EBAY since many people don’t use the forum that often. His parts will show Canada as the location and right now he is the only one that has 10-15 used part listings under Continental Mark II on EBay.

Larry

Graham Rollo
06-13-2020, 10:53 PM
20404re motor for quarter window I had an engineer/toolmaker make a new part, as live at the bottom of the world & to get another motor from a Mark II parts shop was to expensive as they also want the core, so have a lot of shipping costs. This has worked out stronger than the factory one

jdsnoddy
06-14-2020, 07:51 AM
Thanks for this. IMHO, the first option should be repair; only replace as the last resort. John

Rob Walker
06-14-2020, 11:15 AM
Graham: The one I have is broken the same way. I'd much rather source a used or rebuilt unit as I know of no one up here with the abilities to perform such a repair.