PDA

View Full Version : Power steering belt lower radiator hose clearence

Xon
05-23-2020, 12:09 PM
Anybody had issues with power steering belt rubbing on lower radiator hose?? Very close clearance!! I had to remove my radiator for repair and noticed the issue!!

Mark Norris
05-23-2020, 04:31 PM
Agree, on my car there is only about 1/16" clearance and I can see is a small rubbing patch on the hose (which is new). Could always add washers under the pivot and adjusting bolts to move it away a little more without adversely affecting the belt alignment.

Jack Bowser
05-23-2020, 05:30 PM
I just bought a new lower hose and plan to cut the lower leg a bit longer in order to push it rearward a little more so I will have a little more clearance from the power steering belt.

lld
05-23-2020, 05:45 PM
Are you sure your have the correct belts and hose? A highly doubt that an auto maker would ever make the clearance that small. Here's a photo of mine. I measure the minimum clearance as 5/16".

Larry

Xon
05-23-2020, 07:07 PM
I would agree that Ford would never do that... even 5/16 seems kinda close but Ford musta figured It was far enough!! I am thinking that maybe instead of installing the full length it was slightly trimmed at the radiator end and the extra length pushes it away from the belt At the pump end.. I?ll get a new hose and test my theory!! Thanks for the help an pics

Xon
07-16-2020, 03:31 PM
Bought a new hose from Jack and kept it long.. used that extra length to slightly slide it off the bottom rad outlet and got the extra clearance off the belt. Belt was slightly flattened at the turn but I just added the spring from the old hose and that solved that. So another disaster avoided....