PDA

View Full Version : The Mark ll coming into it's own

mike h
03-07-2020, 11:50 AM
The last paragraph sums up for most of us our feelings about these cars.

https://notoriousluxury.com/2013/11/10/1956-1957-continental-mk-ii/

jimgnj
03-09-2020, 09:56 AM
Nice article thanks for printing it. As far as the statement, "Its unmistakable presence is timeless in design making it an attractive investment as a collectible. The Mona Lisa, a Chateau Lafite Rothschild, and the Continental MK II all share one thing in common: serendipitous eloquence. It will become the Duesenburg of tomorrow."

Maybe, but my classic car investment strategy thus far at age 62 has been ENJOY, DRIVE and try to only lose about half of what spent to get em running!!!

Jim

Jack Bowser
03-09-2020, 12:05 PM
Jim,

You hit the nail on the head in both paragraphs!

Of all the cars I have owned, I think I only sold one at a profit. They are meant to driven.

Jack, from Princeton and Westfield, NJ (growing up)

Jeff Smith
03-09-2020, 09:34 PM
I am happy to know that I am the only one who has lost money on cars for the last 40 years. I have owned many 61-66 Thunderbirds and many 61-65 Lincolns. I usually buy them at or near what they should sell for then fix every little thing that they need, which is usually a lot. By the time I pass them on to the next owner I sell them for less than the going rate in order to move on to another project. I honestly don't think that I have ever made a profit on any of them. Usually the people who make the profit (in my opinion) are those who are smart enough to buy them at a distressed price and then do only the absolute minimum necessary to satisfy the next buyer.

Jack Bowser
03-11-2020, 10:55 AM
I've owned several 57 Thunderbirds and I did make some money when I sold my last one. Now I see they are selling for a lot less than I sold mine for so timing is part of the game.

I owned it a long time which is why I made some profit

I think I bought it when they were around $25,000 and I sold it for $55,000.

A friend of mine has been in the hobby for 60 years and bought and kept some cars for that long.

He paid $1,900.00 for his Mercedes 300SL that is now worth $1,000,000.00. Now that's a good investment!

jimgnj
03-12-2020, 08:23 PM
I have a 1961 Studebaker Hawk that I got when I was 19. Drove it constantly and was my wedding car and family car for 25 years... in 2004 it was shot. Restored it to the tune of probably twice what it would sell for...but I love it and fortunately so does the wife!

A 1929 Model A that an old lady owed since she was a kid, no it's not the holy grail of old cars.....it's an old car some kid drove......It found me and so did the old (90) lady. I bought it, got it running and she died happy. About $7,000 shy of value but I'm proud I made her dying years so grand...that;s a whole other story.

Now I stumble onto this #2119, 1956. She is a sleeping beauty and very cooperative to "wake up". Someone, somewhere, loved this car and it shows. I found documentation, however, that she was so loved the last twenty years no one wanted to move her too much, about 2,000 miles in 15-20 years! At least she was moved and some outings. I'll pour about 300 hours into her, fix everything including the clock because I'm that way, spend $$$$ to make it right. I'm not a seller, but I suspect the kids will sell everything when I go, and they should. If they only knew,........ the cars brought money they will say,...... and I'll be laughing from above saying if you only knew, I should have put the the bucks in a can!!!

Jack Bowser
03-13-2020, 07:55 AM
Great stories, Jim.

Good for you and the Studebaker.

If I find a car I really like I will pay too much to get it. Then I am like you and fix it all up.

Whoever buys my cars and your cars will get very nice sorted out cars.

I sure wish I could buy a car from someone like you or me someday. Ha

My Mark II was totally rust free with under 50,000 miles but a lot of little things needed to be fixed.

For example, it was painted in the past and when the door handles were put back on they didn't get the key cylinder shaft through the hole that is should go through so neither of my door locks worked. To fix that the door panels and the door handles had to come off in order to put them back on correctly.

Who tries the keys in the door locks when buying a car?

One example of someone working on the car and not being careful and thorough to test things before putting everything back together.

Regards, Jack

lld
03-13-2020, 08:51 AM
I know this sounds strange but if I am buying a car locally, after reviewing the mechanicals and the underside, I ask the owner if I can wash and dry the car under their supervision. I have found that lets me uncover problems that even a close inspection (by me) doesn't seem to uncover:

. chance to try the windshield wipers to get the water off the windshield
. chance to see if there are any serious leaks into the interior and trunk
. when you wash a car and then carefully dry it you are getting your face about 12" from every painted and chromed exterior surface of the car including the edges of the doors, the door jams, the trunk lid and jam, all the glass, etc.
. you look down and feel all the lines/surfaces of the car and see every dimple, ding, potential rust spot, bubbling, etc
. you get a chance to feel how all the doors, hood, and trunk close
. you get a chance to look at the wheel covers and tires from about 12"

It's amazing how much detail is picked up washing and drying a car completely.

Larry

jimgnj
03-13-2020, 09:38 PM
OK that's it! Larry I'll sell all my cars to you right now for $20.00 , then I back out after the wash and wax job, claiming I ain't right in the head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roger Zimmermann
03-14-2020, 04:08 AM
It's amazing how much detail is picked up washing and drying a car completely.

Larry
I noticed that too!

lld
03-14-2020, 04:01 PM
Jim,

Don't take advantage of me. I said wash and dry - no waxing.

Larry

RL Chilton
03-19-2020, 03:41 PM
That's real interesting, Larry, as I've preached and practiced that routine my whole life. You are so right, you really get to know a car when you go over every square inch of it that way. You've got to be careful not to fall in love at that stage, though! Glad to hear someone else does the same.

Russell