PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Bezels

rlafash
02-25-2020, 07:38 AM
My body guy and I are in the process of reassembling my Mark II after a repaint. Is there a "trick" on positioning the headlight bezels? When installing on the three retaining clips they do not align properly with the openings in the fenders. There is no "filler" in the fenders and the bezels do not appear to be out of round. Are we missing something?

lld
02-25-2020, 01:26 PM
Dick,

I do not remember any issues. Do you have the same issue on both sides? Were the bezels in place correctly before disassembly?

Larry

rlafash
02-26-2020, 08:33 AM
Worse on the left, but misaligned on both sides. I'd like to say that I remember clearly that both were properly aligned when disassembled, however, I can not. I failed to take proper photos pre disassembly, however I do have an old photo of the right front that appears to indicate proper alignment. There was one clip, the outside one on the left fender that was broken which was replaced upon reassembly.

lld
02-26-2020, 11:45 AM
Have you tried switching bezels from side to side? If you haven't done anything to the clips, the only thing I could imagine is that the bezels have been switched and the bezel/clip fit is somewhat different side to side. Obviously, it shouldn't make a difference but it might.

Larry

Jack Bowser
02-27-2020, 08:43 AM
I was able to bend the bezel clips out a little on my car and the headlight bezels now seem to fit much tighter.

Does anyone know what material the bezels are made from and if the holes that often have been drilled in them can be welded up?

The bezels look like chrome plated aluminum. If they are I guess I can have them welded and re-plated.

rlafash
02-27-2020, 10:51 AM
Yes, we've switched them side to side without any improvement. I'm wondering if replacement of the broken clip on the outer edge of the left fender might of had some effect. Will try tomorrow and see what results. I'm also not absolutely sure that the bezels were properly held by the clips originally. There are obvious areas on the bezels where the clips would appear to grab. Maybe they were not aligned with those areas in the first place.

Graham Rollo
02-27-2020, 06:53 PM
they are die cast not aluminum

Jack Bowser
02-28-2020, 11:24 AM
Hi Graham. I was afraid of that. There isn't any way I know of to weld die cast.

I think I will make little aluminum pieces that I can press-fit or epoxy into the holes that hopefully will not show up much except for maybe a circle around the insert.

lld
02-28-2020, 07:36 PM
Jack,

Here's a link to a YouTube video showing how to weld pot metal/die casting with a low melting point rod. You could also think of using silver solder. When you take a die casting to be replated, the plater fills all the little pit holes with silver solder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwLuV00Psu0

Larry

Jack Bowser
03-06-2020, 10:49 AM
Thanks Larry,

I will ask my plater to fix mine.