PDA

View Full Version : Seat Gear

jimgnj
02-14-2020, 09:49 PM
I hope the pictures are attached: I had to change my seat "up/down" gear today. I did the advanced search but found only one post i thought could help me, but no pictures. So here is my take. First the bench seat lifts out so no need to remove the entire the seat or even deal with the bolts under the car. Second the gear in question has a "standard"nut on it, lock the shaft ABOVE the stop pin and simply unscrew the nut and the fancy castle lock washer. The shaft rides in a bearing, just tap the auger part to drive the bearing and gear forward. The gear in my case came off with mild hand pressure. Watch the orientation of the gear and WATCH THE LITTLE TINY KEY that will fall out of the old gear.

jdsnoddy
02-15-2020, 12:11 PM
Jim:
Thanks for this. Your interior on 2119 seems to be in outstanding condition. Thanks so much for this posting. John

jimgnj
02-15-2020, 09:24 PM
John, I'm blushing...for 2119 but when i picked up the bench part of the front seat, I found a Bendix radio checklist for the radio dated 1955 with the radio serial number and the sign off "quality" guys. I'll try to post that too. Interior I think is completely really original!!! This car was off the radar for years as you can search.....glad i found it. I have been applying leather conditioner like crazy because i don't want a crack

JohnC
08-29-2021, 06:30 AM
Hey Jim,

I'm a very new owner of a 56 and am just starting the seat repair on mine. Mine don't move at all, the seat rocks back and forth due to just loose bolts under the frame. I was looking to see if the entire front seat with all the mechanical parts has to be removed too which I see in your pics I don't have to do. How did you pop off the cushion so I can just test, work or replace the motors. That's all I need to do too.

Thanks

Barry Wolk
08-29-2021, 07:05 AM
Hey Jim,

I'm a very new owner of a 56 and am just starting the seat repair on mine. Mine don't move at all, the seat rocks back and forth due to just loose bolts under the frame. I was looking to see if the entire front seat with all the mechanical parts has to be removed too which I see in your pics I don't have to do. How did you pop off the cushion so I can just test, work or replace the motors. That's all I need to do too.

Thanks

Hi John,

Your seat rocks back and forth due to losing it's ball bearing in the tracks. That happens when people extend the seat travel. The rails are crimped on the end to prevent this from happening, but repeated hammering forces them out of place.

Removing the seat is the only way to fix it. Remove the seat bottom. Remove the seat backs by removing the 4 retaining pins. Detach the electrical connections. There are 4 3/8"bolts under the seat rails, remove them, now the rest lifts out of the car. I've removed the frame myself, but its best for two people to do it. You'll probably find the ball bearings under the seat. They really can't go anywhere. The tracks are hardened, but they do rust as water has no place to go if the track gets wet. These ball bearing tracks must be smooth or they will grind, and you'll feel it.

I'll be posting a Tutorial once my internet is restored.

Mark Norris
08-29-2021, 11:55 AM
Hi John - the whole seat cushion simply pulls up and off in one piece. There's nothing holding it ...just gravity and a bit of friction from the seat frame.