PDA

View Full Version : Where is Serial Number Supposed to be,

jimgnj
01-16-2020, 10:41 AM
Where is the serial plate on a 56 mark? Please respond I have a problem

Egenolf
01-16-2020, 12:27 PM
....have a look near the hinges of the drivers door.

jdsnoddy
01-16-2020, 12:51 PM
Jim:
Along with the brass plate riveted to the drivers' side A pillar, please check this out:
https://www.markiiforum.com/showthread.php?4196-FAQ%E2%80%99s-REGARDING-THE-MARK-II-REGISTRY-CODES-VINS-etc

Read all the way down and view the attachments. The VIN is also on the frame of the car in three places. See the attachment (5 of 10)

Take a deep breath, all things are solvable except a compromised frame and severe rust.
Good luck. John

jimgnj
01-16-2020, 06:40 PM
First thanks John and Holger for the reply...now sit back and have a laugh at my expense..........So I paid for C56B2119 last night the owner kept the car and we agreed I would take his NY TRANSFERABLE Registration to New Jersey. I could get the car regfistered but not take the car until my checked cleared. I had looked at the car and totally forgot RULE # 1. Check the VIN/ Serial number against the paper work. I was so engrossed in the car and ride and all I totally forgot to look. On the way home I said to my 83 year old co-polit, we forgot rule #1. he laughed and said the car must have plate it looks great, relax.

I go to NJ DMV today and the clerk is very nice and says sure the NY Transferable Registration is old school, but fine, just get a pencil tracing of the serial number and or a clear photo. I call the seller and he says the car has no VIN. I said I know the old cars are simply serial numbers, but I expalin I need a photo of it. Call IT what you want I need it. He tells me the car has no numbers on it. I begin to panic. I posted here and asked where it should be. I call the seller and he insists he never noticed any plate and has the car registered with no title from his buyer years ago on a bill of sale because of age. He says he'll back the car out and look but he's sure no plate exists. In the meantime I'm looking at this site and staring at a picture of a serial plate. My 33 year old son is near me and my phone message goes off. The seller texts OK I found it, here is a photo. I open the photo and it looks great. I start talking to the seller and somehow lose my thoughts and I look back at the computer and I say to the seller the serial number on the plate isn't close to C56B2119. He says, "What are you crazy?" My son spins around looks at me and says dad, calm down, you're so upset you're looking at the computer and talking, look at the phone. OH YEAH THAT PICTURE LOOKS LIKE GOOD OLD 2119! sO AL IS WELL, THE SELLER FOUND A PLATE HE NEVER NOTICED, i HAVE A CAR BEING TRUCKED TOMORROW, AND MY SON THINKS HE' SO SMART! I do have aold Studebaker and a Model A so hopefully my learning curve won't annoy the group too much, but I think I'll be asking a lot of questions. Thanks again. Jim

jdsnoddy
01-16-2020, 08:32 PM
Jim:
Very kewl story. Thanks for sharing. You are welcome.
I'm glad everything worked out.
I think in the excitement of the moment, we all might forget the basics.
Very best regards,
John