PDA

View Full Version : Vance Carriere

vancec
07-06-2009, 11:44 PM
Hi, Vance here. I have a 56 introductory unit. As some of you know, one of the things that first attracted me to the Mark II was that I was born in 1956. As it turns out, the car I bought rolled off the line on my birthday, September 22. It was originally dark green metallic with medium green and white interior. I am restoring it back to original with the exception that it will be a convertible.

Looking forward to lots of Mark II talk.

Vance Carriere C5691292
6378 Seavey Court
Highland, CA 92346
(909) 862-0955 home
(562) 225-2741 cell

Shelly Harris
07-06-2009, 11:57 PM
Welcome Vance --- that birthday story is amazing!

Barry Wolk
08-20-2009, 01:16 PM
How's the convertible conversion coming?

Gary Oligny
08-20-2009, 08:37 PM
Hi Vance,

Sounds like the Mark II was in your destiny for sure!
Is there someone that provides a convertible kit for the Mark II?

Gary

Barry Wolk
08-20-2009, 08:57 PM
Vance is building a parade car. The Derham convertible used a '57 Ford top mechanism. The top bows on my car were built from scratch by Hess & Eisenhardt. It's reported that '48 Continental top bows can be altered to fit.

I don't know of any kits.

linmk2
08-20-2009, 11:03 PM
Welcome and good luck with your project.

vancec
08-21-2009, 02:37 PM
The car looks good, ready to go to paint. But having trouble getting the engine/trans back in. They've had to pull it back out twice because its binding (not turning) when the two are bolted together but not when apart. Really hope they figure it out soon. I was starting to believe we were on our way with this project, at last.

Barry Wolk
08-21-2009, 02:42 PM
Will it turn over with the starter removed?

vancec
08-21-2009, 06:46 PM
The engine turns over by hand fine. The trans turns over by hand. Bolted together without the starter, no.

My mechanic suspects the torque converter so the trans is on its way back to the trans shop. see you next year.

Barry Wolk
08-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Is your torque converter the original aluminum one.

vancec
05-03-2010, 01:57 PM
Well, for the third time, the body work on my car is almost finished. I actually saw it with my own eyes. Some of you may remember I put it into the shop to be restored 2 1/2 years ago. You read that right, two and a half years! In a few weeks it will be a topless, painted Mark II with new interior. How good the mechanical work turns out to be, who knows? If you believe in God or gods or any deities of any sort, please begin praying for me. I don't think hoping for a "break" really applies anymore, I need a freaking miracle.

Doc
05-03-2010, 06:29 PM
Vance - Congratulations on the progress. But, I'm not clear, did you end up with an actual convertible (i.e. it has a fabric top that goes up and down) or is it a "parade car" AKA hot rod-type "roadster" (i.e. there is no top)? Post some pictures, please.

By the way, my wife, you, and your car all share a birthday (although not the same year), so when you're ready to sell it, let me know...what better present for her?

vancec
05-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Vance - Congratulations on the progress. But, I'm not clear, did you end up with an actual convertible (i.e. it has a fabric top that goes up and down) or is it a "parade car" AKA hot rod-type "roadster" (i.e. there is no top)? Post some pictures, please.

By the way, my wife, you, and your car all share a birthday (although not the same year), so when you're ready to sell it, let me know...what better present for her?

Well, that's hard to say... I mean I didn't "wind up" with anything but a heap, yet! No, seriously it will be a parade car until I have the money to have a convertible top made. That is my long range goal.

I'll post pictures when it is painted. And tell your wife she should buy a Prius; I've had a lot better luck with mine.

vancec
06-13-2010, 10:48 PM
Well, the body is painted green. That's my update. Looks really good; color sanding and polishing this coming week. Then we'll see what's next. Pics when it's shiny.

Don Henschel
06-14-2010, 10:03 AM
The body is painted green:) Welll thats off to a good start, we need a few more green ones out there. With no top I guess it cant be two tone green like mine;)

vancec
06-14-2010, 08:13 PM
Ooh, two tone must be nice! No, but when it's finished, it will be the original green with the original color interior. It's a gorgeous color combo. The seats are done and look amazing.

Rick Payton
06-14-2010, 08:22 PM
pictures pictures I can't wait to see it!!!:D

crystal59
06-14-2010, 09:24 PM
pictures pictures I can't wait to see it!!!:D

The restoration guys had mine for two years but as frustrating as it was, it was worth it. Get ready to enjoy one of if not the most beautiful cars made and get ready for all the thumbs up, gawking, and what is it questions? Enjoy yourself, you have earned it. Gary

Don Henschel
06-16-2010, 07:52 PM
Ooh, two tone must be nice! No, but when it's finished, it will be the original green with the original color interior. It's a gorgeous color combo. The seats are done and look amazing.

And your steering wheel and guages will match as well;) It surprised me to see how everybodies steering wheels fade to green! 2 1/2 years isn't bad. I have been picking away on mine since 1993 when I got it. The paint needed repairs shortly after it was redone and that went very badly. It's been mainly in storage since, other than the few exercises. I now have parts trickling in and plan on a complete redo including a proper new interior, paint, and all the fine details- A/C, electrical etc.

vancec
07-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Well, here are some shots of the car media blasted, then primered and finally painted. These guys did a great job of working and patching the bad metal. Lotsa old bodywork with lead. The paint looks really amazing; exactly the original color. They were very meticulous matching it. So now, chrome goes back on, etc, etc. I see the light at the end of the tunnel!

http://www.cardomain.com/user/RideEditPage.aspx?page_id=3869575

Chuck Lutz
07-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Vance, link's not working ?

vancec
07-05-2010, 02:23 PM
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3869575/1

Does that work?

Shawn Newcomb
07-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Looks good, the color of money.:)

BTW the Mark II looks more 'fifties' in the 3rd picture down. Without tail lamps and bumper on it has backcut FINS like a Nomad!

vancec
08-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Well, I am happy to report that the work on the car has picked up pace! It is now running and almost drivable. I actually backed it out of the shop and drove it around the building Friday. Still years of work ahead, of course. Here are some shots from my Iphone. As you see, the car is not going to win any shows, but that's OK with me. Can't wait to put the tires/wheels/caps on.

Here are some issues I could use help with:

1. The carpet that came with the car was junk and now gone. I downloaded the installation manual but don't have an original carpet set from which to make new pieces. (Buying a complete set is not possible for me, right now) Does anyone know of a template I could get use of? Since all the interior pieces are out right now, I don't know if any of the carpet parts needed edge binding or do they all go under panels, moldings, seat, etc.? I plan to have a local auto interior guy do the carpet so I'd like to tell him that up front.
2. When I got the car it had a dent in the hood where the aftermarket air cleaner had hit. I have an original air cleaner but I am terrified to try closing the hood. It seems like the radiator cap is really close so I have it just resting on a rag. Question: how tight are the tolerances of the air cleaner or other parts to the hood when closing? Is there a procedure for adjusting the hood safely? Oh, I don't have a shop manual anymore.
3. I have a working driver's window; the passenger's side motor is dead and the passenger's side rear motor and regulator are missing. I have a regulator/motor for a driver's side rear and another dead (spare) passenger's motor. I have read Barry's explanation of getting these old motors moving again and hope I can oil em up. Question: are both rear motors identical? Fronts? What's interchangeable?

Thanks in advance,
Vance

Shelly Harris
08-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Your questions are beyond me, but no matter as you are certain to get answers from our members. I just want to want to get in my best wishes as you progress. Hang in there!

vancec
08-08-2010, 08:41 PM
your questions are beyond me, but no matter as you are certain to get answers from our members. I just want to want to get in my best wishes as you progress. Hang in there!

thanks shelly!

vancec
08-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Oh, my car can be added to our registry. If this is the wrong thread for it, my apologies.
Vance Carriere
6378 Seavey Court
Highland, CA 92346

chris cimarusti
08-10-2010, 08:02 AM
Well, I am happy to report that the work on the car has picked up pace! It is now running and almost drivable. I actually backed it out of the shop and drove it around the building Friday. Still years of work ahead, of course. Here are some shots from my Iphone. As you see, the car is not going to win any shows, but that's OK with me. Can't wait to put the tires/wheels/caps on.

Here are some issues I could use help with:

1. The carpet that came with the car was junk and now gone. I downloaded the installation manual but don't have an original carpet set from which to make new pieces. (Buying a complete set is not possible for me, right now) Does anyone know of a template I could get use of? Since all the interior pieces are out right now, I don't know if any of the carpet parts needed edge binding or do they all go under panels, moldings, seat, etc.? I plan to have a local auto interior guy do the carpet so I'd like to tell him that up front.
2. When I got the car it had a dent in the hood where the aftermarket air cleaner had hit. I have an original air cleaner but I am terrified to try closing the hood. It seems like the radiator cap is really close so I have it just resting on a rag. Question: how tight are the tolerances of the air cleaner or other parts to the hood when closing? Is there a procedure for adjusting the hood safely? Oh, I don't have a shop manual anymore.
3. I have a working driver's window; the passenger's side motor is dead and the passenger's side rear motor and regulator are missing. I have a regulator/motor for a driver's side rear and another dead (spare) passenger's motor. I have read Barry's explanation of getting these old motors moving again and hope I can oil em up. Question: are both rear motors identical? Fronts? What's interchangeable?

Thanks in advance,
Vance

Vance: I may be able to help you with 1 and 2.

I spent 25 years restoring my Mark II. During that time I purchased two complete carpet sets (one in the mid 80s from Bob Cook and one in 2006 from Jack Rosen). I finally decided to use Mouton Fur in the interior!! I now have these two sets in my basement (a very dry one). I would be willing to send you one for the price of the shipping. Both sets are black!!

I had a dent (outward) in my hood just where the air cleaner cover sits. According to Buddy Holiday, this is most likely caused by a mechanic leaving a tool on the air cleaner and closing the hood. With great effort, the hood was reshaped. It does NOT hit the air cleaner cover now.

Best regards, Chris Cimarusti (Manalapan, New Jersey )

Barry Wolk
08-10-2010, 08:27 AM
That sounds like the deal of the century. Reminds me of the time a lady paid me $10 to take her antique wood ice box out of her basement and into my house.:D

Nick DeSpirito
08-10-2010, 12:14 PM
OUOTE FROM CHRIS

"I had a dent (outward) in my hood just where the air cleaner cover sits. According to Buddy Holiday, this is most likely caused by a mechanic leaving a tool on the air cleaner and closing the hood. With great effort, the hood was reshaped. It does NOT hit the air cleaner cover now."

That dent can also be caused by using a wing nut instead of the star nut on the air cleaner. In case you're missing this part, Jack sells them already plated. Narragansett sells them unplated.

chris cimarusti
08-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Nick: In my case, you could see the outline of the tool-it was no wing nut that did the damage!!Chris

SLK
08-10-2010, 04:45 PM
Wasn't it a wing nut that left the tool there or was he a tool?

vancec
08-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Much thanks to Chris. Amazingly generous. Sent a PM.

I have a star nut from Jack. I guess I am just paranoid about the hood, the fenders having been removed by the body shop I am afraid they may have installed them wrong? I'll just man-up and shut the dang thing!

Mechanic still having trouble with timing. Is there a definitive post regarding timing/carb/etc. that someone could direct me to?

Vance

Shelly Harris
08-10-2010, 09:13 PM
If you do a "search" you'll get all kinds of information.

Here's good information on timing with a vacuum gauge.....

http://www.markiiforum.com/showthread.php?t=594&highlight=timing

Nick DeSpirito
08-11-2010, 06:04 AM
Nick: In my case, you could see the outline of the tool-it was no wing nut that did the damage!!Chris

Chris,

I think I remember you telling me that at Lancaster. That's why I said "also". :)

Barry Wolk
08-11-2010, 08:44 AM
Much thanks to Chris. Amazingly generous. Sent a PM.

I have a star nut from Jack. I guess I am just paranoid about the hood, the fenders having been removed by the body shop I am afraid they may have installed them wrong? I'll just man-up and shut the dang thing!

Mechanic still having trouble with timing. Is there a definitive post regarding timing/carb/etc. that someone could direct me to?

Vance

Take a piece of Play-dough and put it on your air cleaner. Close the hood to where you think it's safe. Measure how much more you have to go to close the hood and then measure the thickness of the squished Play-dough. If the measurement of the play-dough is greater than the remainder for the hood to close, you're in business.

Modeling clay or a clay bar will work, too.

vancec
08-11-2010, 09:08 AM
Take a piece of Play-dough and put it on your air cleaner. Close the hood to where you think it's safe. Measure how much more you have to go to close the hood and then measure the thickness of the squished Play-dough. If the measurement of the play-dough is greater than the remainder for the hood to close, you're in business.

Modeling clay or a clay bar will work, too.

YES! Now that's a good idea. Thanks.

Barry Wolk
08-11-2010, 09:41 AM
You're welcome. I use that method in checking clearance in electrical equipment.

vancec
08-11-2010, 10:03 AM
My son and daughter started 5th and 7th grades this morning. When I asked them if they had any Play Dough they just rolled their eyes.

Barry Wolk
08-11-2010, 10:08 AM
Buy a clay bar. You'll have plenty of use for it.