PDA

View Full Version : Green steering wheels

Jack Bowser
08-23-2019, 10:24 PM
I notice many Mark II’s have green steering wheels.

My interior is blue so I’d like the wheel and knobs to match the blue.

Did my wheel and knobs fade due to some chemical situation?

I assume I can paint the parts but am wondering what prep is required and what type of paint should be used.

Dominick Toscano
08-24-2019, 12:45 PM
They are green steering wheel,t/s ,shift indicator and door handles as well. Id leave it like factory .painting the steering wheel is just cheesy to me...

lld
08-24-2019, 05:19 PM
Steering wheels that start out in a factory color gradually turn green, see the thread

https://www.markiiforum.com/showthread.php?668-steering-wheel-color&highlight=steering+wheel

Larry

Jack Bowser
08-26-2019, 11:04 AM
Thanks, Larry.

I can always count on you for good feedback.

Regards,

Jack

Jack Bowser
08-28-2019, 09:47 AM
I called the guy in San Diego. very nice on the phone and he explained how the chemical reaction causes the steering wheels to turn green.

I was going to pay the $1,800 to have a new wheel cast and to get the 4 other matching pieces but my restoration guy assures me he can paint these parts so they will look correct and wear well.

If a excellent paint job can restore my wheel and associated parts to the correct color I doubt anyone will be able to tell they were painted.

It's sure worth trying because I could still send them away if I don't like the paint job.

Jack Bowser
08-28-2019, 09:50 AM
They were not green to begin with. Chemical reaction causes them to turn green.

I good paint job will not be cheesy because the paint job will not be able to be detected.

Correct blue color sure will look better than the totally wrong green.

Don Henschel
09-05-2019, 10:56 AM
If it is a green interior like mine one can leave it but a faded green wheel in a different color has as much class as a spam sandwich in a formal gathering!! It's like the instrument cluster debate on how they should be blue or green but in reality they started out as grey.