PDA

View Full Version : Paper air filters

Jack Bowser
08-23-2019, 10:16 PM
Has anyone found a paper filter that works with the 1956 oil bath air cleaner?

I’m hoping there is a paper filter that will work in our 1956 air filters.

thundershine
08-25-2019, 03:29 PM
just swap the air cleaner out for a 57 :)

lld
08-25-2019, 08:23 PM
Use this link to see how to modify the oil bath unit to accept a paper filter.

https://www.markiiforum.com/showthread.php?5325-Air-Cleaner-Converting-56-Oil-Bath-to-57-Dry-Filter&highlight=air+cleaner

Larry

Jack Bowser
08-26-2019, 12:07 PM
Hi Jacob,

Did you decide to keep your car?

I bought a white one that looks like it has never seen rain let alone any bad weather.

The undercarriage looks like new.

I have re painted it but the interior is almost perfect so I didn't need to do anything to it.

I'll send you some pictures by email.

Regards, Jack

Jack Bowser
08-28-2019, 09:58 AM
Larry,

I took a look at my air cleaner top piece and it appears that trying to un crimp the edge around the top will be impossible to do without doing a lot of damage to the top piece.

The oil bath piece is in the way so a good angle to try prying the crimped piece is impossible.

did you have to do some repair to your top after uncrimping the edge?

I'm starting to wonder if it's worth doing.

I have considered installing a modern Carburetor in which case I would use a modern paper type filter and then I can keep the original carb and air filter in original condition.

I hear that a 450 Holley or a 600 Edelbrock makes a big difference in the cars performance.

I'm still having a slight off idle stumble after rebuilding my Carb.

I'm going to check the timing and carb adjustments to see if I can correct this.

lld
08-28-2019, 10:23 AM
Jack,

Mine was already done when I got the car. Whoever did it, did a nice job. No visible damage.

The slight off idle stumble is very common on these cars.

You might want to take a look at an excellent post by Barry Wolk

https://www.markiiforum.com/showthread.php?594-Throw-your-timing-light-away&highlight=idle

Larry

thundershine
08-28-2019, 11:27 PM
hey jack nope still up for sale, and great would like to see them. will tray and give ya a call in the next few days

Don Henschel
09-05-2019, 10:52 AM
It puzzles me why the conversion? My 1950 Mercury hasn't leaked a drop in the almost 40 years I owned it and my Continental Mark II as well since purchasing in 1993. Those are cylindrical filters that haven't been used in years and I find them to be becoming very dificult to find! My engine will always require oil to run and it works very well in the air cleaner as well! If the car is being run totally on pavement I can go a number of oil changes with the oil in the air cleaner still being clean. Use the paper filter for a ring toss game!

Jack Bowser
09-13-2019, 09:27 AM
Thanks Larry, I took a look at Barry's post. Lots of good info there.

Jack Bowser
09-13-2019, 09:31 AM
Keep it and fix it up.

They are finally starting to get the respect they deserve. Good examples are getting up to 6 figures now.

I have everything working on mine now except the Vacuum antenna and windshield washer which I would never use anyway.

jdsnoddy
09-13-2019, 11:41 AM
Jack:
Barry Wolk posted some great work on restoring the windshield washer system. He took a rebuild kit from a Cadillac and rebuilt it.
Check this out: https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7364289-Continental-Mark-II-engine-compartment-freshening/page15