PDA

View Full Version : Slow fuel tank filling

Conti
08-09-2019, 03:29 PM
Since I had my Mark I always had a problem to top up fuel.
The fuel boiled up the filler hose and I had to stop and wait until the foam goes away - takes always a long time to fill the tank. Today I found some time to check the fuel and vent lines.
The vent lines and also the "T" were new so I took a closer lock to the filler hose - also new and no wrinkels so I started to squeeze the filler hose with my fingers and at the 90° bend I could feel some resistance. Felt like a towel or similar inside the hose.
Got a long reach claw and went fishing in the filler tube.

Look what I have found......lots of kitchen paper......think the PO used it to close the filler during some repairs.

Graham Rollo
08-10-2019, 02:02 AM
That wouldnt help.
, lucky it didnt go further down

Conti
08-10-2019, 04:05 AM
Yes, very lucky and I have already made some miles in the last weeks.
Next is to check the fuel filter

Don Henschel
10-14-2019, 12:05 PM
Actually most if not all have a strainer screen or sock over the fuel line within the fuel tank. Want confusion? Have debri such as leaves, paper, etc. drifting around in the tank and after a while the engine starts to starve for fuel. After the engine dies or is shut off the garbage falls off and drifts away leaving the strainer and the cycle of confusion repeats. Replace the fuel filter and next the fuel pump, same thing! Next let's replace the rubber fuel lines because maybe one is collapsing or restricted and after blaming the carburator finally lets look inside the fuel tank after throwing parts at the car that weren't needed. Combine this with shop labour as well if the mechanic doesn't think outside the box.