PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Cap

Jack Bowser
08-01-2019, 04:51 PM
My radiaror hoses colapse down on the internal springs after the engine cools down.

I may not have a vented cap that could solve this issue so I just ordered one from mark II Enterpriss.

Does anyone else have this issue?

My local radiator shop says this is common in cars the age of ours but i don't remember my other Mark II's I owned in the past doing this.

It takes a pretty good hard pull to break the vacuum when removing my radiator cap.

Has anyone changed to a modern reclamation system by ading an overflow tank and necessary pieces?

Conti
08-02-2019, 03:27 AM
This might be just a problem with the radiator cap. The cap not only holds the pressure and acts as a pressure relief valve it also lets air in when the engine cools down.

Had this only once on one of my cars and I just had to change the radiator cap, just make sure you get one with the right rating (manual says a 13# cap).

Here is a nice article about that.
https://www.freeasestudyguides.com/engine-radiator-cap.html

Conti
08-02-2019, 06:11 AM
Another thing you could do is to check your overflow hose for blockage.

Jack Bowser
08-08-2019, 09:49 AM
I found out why my Radiator hoses are collapsing against their internal springs.

I never thought that the overflow tube could be clogged up but mine is so clogged up that NO air could be sucked back into the system which is what was causing the vacuum that sucked my hoses dow.

It is so clogged that all of my efforts to unclog it have failed so I may cut section of the tube behind the upper tank on the radiator where it makes 3 sharp bends and put a short piece of rubber hose at this place that I cannot get anything flexible to go through.

Jack Bowser
08-08-2019, 09:50 AM
I never thought it would clog but you hit the nail on the head.

Thanks, Reinhard