PDA

View Full Version : Mark 2 lover with problems

Ken c
05-02-2019, 03:35 PM
Please help. I have 1996 Gx100 Toyota mark 2 with a 1G engine. The problem started after I left the car in the sun the whole day. I noticed after starting the car that the dashboard was not right. The milage display was off and when I started driving the speedometer wasn't working. The car also took long to shift from gear to gear. After driving for 20mins everything came back to normal. It happened after that for some time if the car was left in a hot place. It never happened when the weather was cool.
Now the problem is permanent. It's cold right now but I have no speedo, milage display and long gear shifts. What could be the problem with my baby? Thanks

Shelly Harris
05-02-2019, 04:34 PM
Sorry Ken, this is not a Toyota Mark 2 forum...

jdsnoddy
05-03-2019, 07:07 AM
As a courtesy, we might help. When you list an issue like this, please include your odometer reading and any trouble lights on the dashboard. My sense is that you've got a bad sensor (no pun intended). Please see: https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/495124/1999+toyota+camry+speedometer+and+mileage+not+work ing
This fact could be easily checked by reading the trouble code from the ECU. Recommend you take it to a parts store like Auto Zone; have them read the trouble code for free; and replace the bad sensor.
OBTW, the sunlight and heat most probably had no effect;
The sensor was failing regardless.

Welcome to the forum, we'll do all we can for $12 annually.
Our policy is no religion or politics: everything else is fair game.
John