PDA

View Full Version : Trunk Release Mechanism

Rallyguy
03-17-2019, 10:40 AM
I just picked up a 56 Mark II (C56A1732) and am in the process of exploring my options of what to do with it. I really want to see what additional items are in the trunk but the car came with no keys, it has air so I can't get in through the rear seat and the prior owner has drilled the tumbler. I don't want to mess up the trunk forcing it open. Anyone have any pictures of what the locking mechanism looks like inside the trunk or any other ideas?

jdsnoddy
03-17-2019, 01:46 PM
Welcome. 1732 has been lost since 1984; another one found. Could you please post a picture of your drilled tumbler? The trunk key and glovebox key were the same key from the factory. Take the glovebox lock off and take it to the locksmith and have a new key made for that. Try your new glovebox key in the trunk. Press up and down on the trunk lid while turning the key. This may be a two person job--quality time with the wife or your son. Otherwise, take it to a professional locksmith.
Let us know what happens. Good luck. John

Rallyguy
03-17-2019, 02:12 PM
Thanks John, where was the last known location of 1732? I bought it in Phoenix, AZ. The tumbler is drilled out so a key will not be of any use. I need to know how the mechanism inside the trunk is actuated so I can devise a tool/hook/? to pass into the hole and trip it. Having never seen the mechanism inside the trunk I have no idea how to fashion the device and where the release is, right, left, down, pull, push? A picture or a diagram from a manual of the trunk latch is what I need.

jdsnoddy
03-17-2019, 02:42 PM
Here's all the forum has on 1732:
1732 - Last Known Owner 1981-Arizona
VIN: C56A1732
SPEC: 14-1N6B
PROD ORDER NO:
ENG#: ???? BODY TAG NO: ????
DSO NO: NONE
DSO DETAILS: NONE
NAMEPLATE: ????
OWNERSHIP HISTORY:
1955-James Gilmore, Jr.
Porter-Sullivan Company, Inc.
Kalamazoo MI
1971-81 Arth Forselius, AZ (L)
Last Known Owner 1981-Arizona

OTHER INFORMATION:
Original Invoice Specifications - 14 1N6B
(Forum Exemplar Photos Attached to Illustrate Original Paint and Interior Trim Colors and Specifications)
Continental Color: White
Trim: Medium Blue Leather Seat Biscuits , White Leather Bolsters w/Medium Blue Welts*

jdsnoddy
03-17-2019, 03:15 PM
Check this out: please read all the thread
First pic is most helpful.

https://www.markiiforum.com/showthread.php?1204-Trunk-Opening-Trunk-Latch-Removal&highlight=Trunk+lock
Trunk Latch
Did that, Done that. Drill a 1/2 hole in either or both lower sections of the trunk emblem. The you have to make a hook tool out of a long thin screw driver. Now go fishing. You have to catch the lever just right. You will need someone to try and turn the key while you are doing this. OR drill 2 more holes in the top section to disconnect the lever. Do not pop out the lock, it will do you no good. I have done this to 2 a/c cars with little damage. Good luck. Mark A Maromonte.
Mark A Maromonte

Rallyguy
03-22-2019, 09:40 AM
By the way this car has AC and no fender vents. And yes, I got the trunk open. Thanks John.

jdsnoddy
03-22-2019, 09:27 PM
By the way this car has AC and no fender vents. And yes, I got the trunk open. Thanks John.
Woo hoo. Glad you got that latch! I am assuming your a/c is aftermarket? Are the A/C vents round and mounted over head in the headliner? I'm guessing not. Thanks for your comment.

Best regards,
John

Don Henschel
03-23-2019, 01:54 PM
Probably referring to the nostrils in the rear fenders. It amazes me how people are in such a damn hurry to drill the tumblers out if they loose a key!! I had a car a number of years ago without a trunk key and I didn't drill it! I went to a nearby locksmith who came out of his shop with an uncut key, a pair of vicegrips, and a hand held key clipper. He stuck the uncut key in the lock and cranked it back and forth with the vicegrips leaving small marks in the key. He clipped the key until it rotated and unlocked the trunk. This was now a pattern to cut a new key on his key cutting machine inside his shop. Aluminum keys work great for this as they are soft. Being this hastey to drill tumblers means one thing, the drill bit would be better off being placed at the side of the head or middle of forehead. If the key turns but the trunk latch won't release, well that's a different story warranting drilling a hole through the emblem.

Rallyguy
03-23-2019, 04:26 PM
No, Novi AC in the trunk. That is the reason I didn't go in through the rear seat... justa saying no fender vents for a/c on a number as low as #1732.

Roger

jdsnoddy
03-24-2019, 03:36 AM
So Roger, just to be clear Novi made an aftermarket system and your A/C is that aftermarket system and that's why you don't have nostrils. Your A/C system was Installed after your car was assembled. Thanks for your posting.

This car is currently on C/L:
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/d/prescott-1956-continental-mark-ii-2/6850765088.html
Project $4,500
Mileage indicated: 10,883
Contact Roger
(928) 925-3787
AZ registration from 1983
Pictured on a trailer does not run, drive, or brake. Engine not seized.

Rallyguy
03-24-2019, 03:19 PM
Interesting. Wonder what it cost in the day to have that system installed in the car. Where did they have to take the car to have the Novi system installed after the car was sold? Normal, IL?

jdsnoddy
03-24-2019, 09:44 PM
Not quite sure. Maybe the dealership? My guess would be around $1,000 in 1956. Factory A/C was the only option costing $595. John

billpatton
06-17-2019, 08:06 PM
I understand you are selling 1732 Mark II. I'd like to know more about it. Bill Patton

jdsnoddy
06-19-2019, 06:19 AM
Bill:
Please private message Roger Hull or call him at:
(928) 925-3787