PDA

View Full Version : Fuel economy

Graham Rollo
12-08-2018, 11:56 PM
finally have most problems sorted, just rebuilt front end, went for drive to test everything, but fuel mileage very poor did 154 mls return trip used 96.60 litres which = US gals 25.51 or UK gals 21.25 which we use in New Zealand worked out on UK gals as 7.24 mpg. My 57 Imperial leaves the Mark II behind as on same trip get 15.6 miles to gal. Think look at late carb as want to drive it, fuel here in New Zealand NZ$2.159 per litre

Mark Norris
12-09-2018, 10:15 AM
I get about 20 miles per UK galllon with mine driven with a light foot (Holley carb.)

1 UK gal = 1.25 US gal (comes from 20 oz in a fluid pint for UK vs. 16 oz in a fluid pint for US). I recall 16 mpg (US) being a commonly reported figure for out of town driving which makes sense from my experience.

Are the plugs sooted up, any fuel drips? I remember a road trip as a student in an old UK Ford Zephyr when the mechanical fuel pump's rubber diaphram split and so forced petrol into the sump ...first, we knew was when the tappits welded themselves to the rockers!

Graham Rollo
12-10-2018, 04:18 AM
all new plugs, runs the holley, thats good at 20 mpg would be happy with that, trip before the front end rebuild, had problems with the two breathers on top of tank, it was coming out when filling, but found the hoses going into lower fender panel not hocked up to the breather tube. So this was fixed.carb might be jetted wrong will look at the holley manual

Mark Norris
12-14-2018, 11:37 AM
Couldn't upload the pictures below (only give URL as an option in the pm screen) so I've replied here instead. I don't know if its a late model Holley or not;

19196 19195

I'm surprised at how economical the car is with a light throttle, though it can really pick up its skirts when you want to.

The top tank breathers were plugged when I got the car so I re-installed all the vent lines leading to the leaft hand reaer fender ... mine leaks a bit at the fender hole if I fill over 3/4 full ...its on my to do list.

Graham Rollo
12-29-2018, 11:11 PM
1st big trip after sorting fuel problems 763 miles averaged 19.223 mpg( imperial gals), the Mistress went well used no oil, just have to tweak the wheel alignment19270