PDA

View Full Version : depmike38

depmike38
08-01-2009, 11:06 PM
Hello everyone. I'm glad to find a location just for the MarkII. I've had mine for 3 years but I spent about 20 years trying to talk the previous owner out of it. Trying to find a correct 56 carb right now but it's an original 56 with only one re-paint & 44,000 miles. I'll try to post some pics.

Shelly Harris
08-01-2009, 11:21 PM
Yes, get those pics uploaded. What carb is on there now?

Welcome to the forum!

depmike38
08-01-2009, 11:29 PM
It has a teapot on it but it's been apparently falling apart from all the previous re-builds. Whats confusing me is I've seen photos of these carbs where the two tubes on the back of the carb go up over the top and the one on mine go straight up underneath the top cover. I don't know what is correct. The friend of mine that I bought the car from said it was on it when he bought it and he got it from the original owner in about 1986. Once I get this done I can start bringing it back up to speed. We ran it briefly before pulling the carb and even the a/c still works.

depmike38
08-02-2009, 11:54 PM
I think I hit the wrong button previously but it has a teapot on it but it seems different from photos I've seen and I think it may be off another 50's era Ford maybe a T-Bird. The previous owner got it from the original owner and said it was on it when he bought the car.

Nick DeSpirito
08-03-2009, 09:15 AM
Hey Mike, welcome.

You probably have a T-Bird carb. Look at the two air intake doors on the front they should be square on the bottom. If they are rounded like in this picture,

http://www.ponycarburetors.com/images/tpot.jpg

then it's more than likely from a T-Bird.

Here's some info on the Holley 4000 from Pony's website:

The Holley 4000 has many engineering problems. The driveability problem is a hesitation and flat spot off idle. They leak around the lid of the carburetor, and seeping or weeping fuel out of the large brass access plug to the needle and seat. All these items are corrected during restoration. The Holley 4000 T-Pot is by far the most difficult carburetor to work on of any factory carburetor that was ever used by Ford. Once we have calibrated and assembled them, they will run very, very well. It should be noted that one nickname of these carburetors is "Firebox". The end user should be aware of the fire potential of the carburetor should a backfire occur. Our instructions include a warning disclaimer sheet regarding the problem.

depmike38
08-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Nick, I checked mine and the intake doors are more or less square across the bottom so this may be the original carburetor. I've checked Pony's site before and they seem to be a great deal more detail oriented than most so I may just go with them unless there is another option someone has had good experience with using. I keep being told to use the 57 set-up but I'd rather stay as stock as possible if it can be made to work so I can drive the car. Machinery likes to move around you know! Mike

Mad Scientist
08-03-2009, 06:46 PM
It has a teapot on it but it's been apparently falling apart from all the previous re-builds.

If your carb isn't up to another round of rebuilding I have one that probably is. It has never been rebuild so everything is original including the 40 year old gas, or whats left of it, that is still in it.:rolleyes:

Nick DeSpirito
08-04-2009, 07:06 AM
Nick, I checked mine and the intake doors are more or less square across the bottom so this may be the original carburetor. I've checked Pony's site before and they seem to be a great deal more detail oriented than most so I may just go with them unless there is another option someone has had good experience with using. I keep being told to use the 57 set-up but I'd rather stay as stock as possible if it can be made to work so I can drive the car. Machinery likes to move around you know! Mike

Mike,

I bought a rebuilt from Pony last year. I think the price was $450.00 for "show quality finish". Core charge was $225.00. (You get that back if you mail your unit back to them).

depmike38
08-04-2009, 09:44 PM
Nick,
Do have any idea what the original cfm carb is used on the 56? I'm looking at Pony's table on their website and what it works out to seems larger than what I seem to remember seeing listed.

Nick DeSpirito
08-05-2009, 07:01 AM
Mike,

Here is a link to an online manual for the Holley 4000. Start at the top left and click on each page to view.

http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/Carbs/Holley/H4000/C228-1/index.htm

Here is the '55 manual also for troubleshooting and comparison.

http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/Carbs/Holley/H4000/C228/index.htm