PDA

View Full Version : Removable hard top?

skewzme
09-19-2018, 06:46 AM
I came across a picture of a 56 Mark 2 last week with a removable hard top.
Details were sketchy, but I'm pretty sure there were no factory cars like that, so I assume someone must have cut the top off and engineered it to be attached back.
Can't find the picture now, or anything else about such a car, although I see several people have converted them into soft top convertibles.

Anybody know about this car, how it was done, or might be done? Given the Mark II's pedigree and association with the Thunderbird, it kind of makes sense and might be something I'd consider on my attempt to restore and customize my less-than-perfect 56.

Thanks
p.s. - asking for forgiveness in advance to all you purists!

jdsnoddy
09-19-2018, 09:24 AM
Tim:

The roof is a major structural component which holds the car together. Given your already compromised frame, it could be very dangerous to cut the top off your car and then drive it. Your car would require significant structural enhancements. Please be careful out there.
I don't have any info on a removable top like a 55-57 Thunderbird. I do recall seeing a picture of a clear bubble top custom.

Mark II Seeker
09-19-2018, 10:53 AM
Tim,

I owned a '55 T-Bird with a removable fiberglass hardtop and it was a two person job to properly remove and store the top on a hoist. Aside, from John's comments on the structural integrity, I would imagine that a Mark II hardtop would be very heavy to remove and store.

skewzme
09-19-2018, 04:37 PM
Yes, no doubt. I wish I could find that picture. I will post it as soon as I can find it. Thanks

timz
09-26-2018, 08:59 PM
I know a person that had one built,he has passed away earlier this year. The car should be at the Mecum auction in Chicago towards the end of October.