PDA

View Full Version : authenticity

Jack Bowser
09-11-2018, 09:11 AM
I'm still on the hunt for a nice Mark II but getting frustrated with all the problems with the ones I have found so far.

I realize they are over a half century old now but I'm surprised how many owners changed colors of paint and upholstery.

I changed SN 1763 from color 01 to color 11 but made sure I got everything painted the new color.

I've seen several that have the color of the paint changed but the old color still on the door jambs, engine bays and other areas.

Different color carpet in the trunk vs the carpet in the car.

My question is....How important is original color as long as the new color is one that was offered.

Same question regarding the upholstery.

the search goes on.

Thank,

Jack

Joseph Stebbins
09-11-2018, 10:07 AM
Generally if the colors were offered or used on an original car that is what is important. The same goes for the interior. I should be of the correct materials (leather not vinyl - aside from the 1957's which had very limited vinyl in areas) carpet should be colors and materials offered. Other than that they were custom cars so if you make it yours just act like you were ordering it in 1956 or 57 and use the cataloged materials and colors.

Jack Bowser
09-11-2018, 04:38 PM
That’s what I plan to do. I’m surprised how many I have found that were restored but for just a little more effort could have been done correctly.

jdsnoddy
09-12-2018, 10:31 AM
I’m surprised how many I have found that were restored but for just a little more effort could have been done correctly.

Truer words were never spoken. I think in boils down to lack of research and lack of attention to detail. Well said. John

legrandfromage
09-12-2018, 10:43 AM
My experience tells me that color and upholstery options as originally spec'd on the data plate are the best. Changes from those codes I believe impact authenticity and resulting resale value. My opinion.
\
Charlie Berry

Egenolf
09-12-2018, 11:59 PM
Hello,

to my mind, the value of a Mark II first depends on the technical and body condition.

There should be extremely few cars that have not yet been repainted and if the car was repainted anyway, the color doesn‘t matter.

if you are restoring a Mark II, do it the way you like it!