PDA

View Full Version : Paint Mixing Formulas

CMii
07-01-2018, 06:19 AM
Have a Code 15, medium blue poly, and a Code 16, medium blue poly, aka Lucite green. Unable to get a proper mix from PPG and Dupont. Anyone have a formula or color code from a paint manufacturer.

CMii
07-01-2018, 06:20 AM
Code 16 should read Medium Gren Poly.

Shelly Harris
07-01-2018, 10:25 AM
There are paint suppliers that can shoot it with a lazer and get a "perfect" match which should blend in with the rest of the car... otherwise if that's not to your satisfaction you'll have to strip and repaint the entire car.

CMii
07-02-2018, 09:01 AM
Both vehicles are complete restorations, strip and repaint. Had the color shot with the lazer under the hood where the paint was not exposed to uv fading. Neither mix was close to matching by PPG or Dupont rep.

goob
07-02-2018, 04:02 PM
Never rule out 'operator error'...try a different paint store...have you tried a Sikkens auto paint jobber? After more than 4 1/2 decades in the business, Sikkens or Akzo Nobel, as they may be called, are 'the best' paints and coatings I have ever used! Quintin's Paint & Body in Leesville advertises Sikkens coatings and LKQ in Alexandria may carry it or be able to get it for you. Sikkens certainly has the very best color matching process I have ever used. Its worth a couple phone calls...

Gary

lld
07-02-2018, 04:09 PM
I had a computer match done using engine firewall (after a light compound) as basis. However, paint shop had to do a couple of manual tweaks before I was satisfied with the light blue match.

Larry

billpatton
09-16-2019, 06:13 PM
Were you ever successful in your color search? I'm changing the color on my Continental to Medium Blue and searching for a formula, too.

billpatton
10-01-2019, 01:45 PM
Were you ever successful finding the medium blue paint formula?

billpatton
10-01-2019, 03:11 PM
color changing my light blue to medium blue. Did you ever find a color formula? Thanks, Bill Patton

Don Henschel
10-08-2019, 12:17 PM
I have had body shop owners mention those so called scanners for paint match are questionable especially with metalic paint. By far the best scanner is looking out of your face unless you are color blind lol. Florescent lights are by far the worst for comparing under as well and direct sunlight is best. When I had mine repainted we used paint chips and also looking at cars and trucks led me to find perfect matches. The deep green on mine is identical to what Chrysler used including GM. I was never into changing paint colors and due to procrastination and most colors not bothering me I usually just elect to paint to original color. Over the years I always seemed to end up with green cars and as it ended up my Mark was two tone green. One lousy magazine article I read mentioned they were never two tone which is total BS combined with a glitch on my VIN indicating only one color but my dealer invoice showed it was ordered two tone. Now the question I have is mine is not classified as DSO but given this why is it not DSO if only 68 were?